Bad Boys Arrow Sleeves

bsnedeker

WKR
Has anyone actually used these in an elk hunt? I've bought a set of the 200gr, they shoot true without having to resight, but I'm just looking for some real input. Thanks
No experience, just looked them up. Would you really want to buy archery equipment from a company that thinks THIS is a good idea?

1659618893700.png

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
No experience, just looked them up. Would you really want to buy archery equipment from a company that thinks THIS is a good idea?

View attachment 435695
I think their protracker is alittle extreme, but I've thought about that idea for some years now. Something simple to attach to the arrow that is linked to a phone app. Something that would allow a pass through but still "tag" the animal for tracking purposes..

WCB

WKR
Have not used them but another thing to monkey around with and ensure alignment...no thanks. You could just use a insert system like Gold Tip and ad screw in weights. If I want to change something up FOC wise I can just add or take some weights away instead of having to by all new sections of shaft or new arrow completely.

TheTone

WKR
If people think more “standard style” outserts are bad for break outs on the tips of arrows these things have to be unreal for that possibility

The amount of gimmick products produced in the archery industry is mind boggling

Titan_Bow

WKR
Unless you were already pretty severely over-spined, I don't see how adding an additional 200gr. to front of an arrow wouldn't necessitate a stiffer spine? (ie. go from 350s to 300s or from 300s to 250s)

I would be worried about alignment. I had a bunch of problems just using the Black Eagle half outs. Last year I went to Black Eagle Spartans with their inserts and the screw in brass weights to get me to where I wanted to be.
I have a total of 225gr. up front. 125gr point, 25gr. insert, and 75gr brass. Its all inside the shaft and I never have to worry about wobbly broadheads anymore.

dtrkyman

WKR
If it slides over the end of the shaft enough it is basically an over sized footer. Which will actually make the front of the arrow bomb proof.

Also if you use your standard insert and just slide these over alignment will be less critical.

People have been footing arrows forever, pretty common for trad hunters to foot cedar shafts. Compound shooters have been doing so recently.

I make my own footer from aluminum shafts cut down and use 1 to 2 inch pieces slid over a half out, makes for a much more durable set up.

These are a bit extreme and I would worry about trying to shove that through bone, with the sleeve being so much larger than the arrow shaft!

Rob5589

WKR
It's not even a footer, you have to cut the shaft down 3" to fit it. Dumb.

Reactions: WCB
Laughably bad idea on multiple fronts.

They tell you to center the sleeve on your rest, which will shift the launch angle of your arrow upward. If calibrated properly, that upward shift might keep your arrows hitting behind your uppermost sight pin (I assume this is the basis of their claim that "Bad Boys are engineered to shoot where your current arrow is dialed in; It’ll hit the same place around 20-30 yards"). However, your pin gaps will still widen due to the increased arrow weight, and, by shifting the launch angle upward, you just took your bow out of tune and induced nock low flight.
Screenshot_20220804-114439_Samsung Internet.jpg

They claim one size fits all arrow shafts from standard to micro diameter. The ID of the sleeve has to be sized for the larger end of the arrow shaft spectrum, which means you'll have a gap upwards of 1/16" if you used it on a micro diameter shaft. Their solution is to slip a few layers of heat shrink tubing over your arrow shaft to fill the gap. :ROFLMAO:
Screenshot_20220804-111854_Samsung Internet.jpg

The "drastically increased kinetic energy" claim is a farce. You might gain a couple ft-lbs depending on how heavy of a Bad Idea you slap on your arrow. The bow determines your KE; the arrow has very little effect.

The excessively large OD of the sleeve can't be a good thing for penetration. The extra weight might still improve penetration potential on net, but a smaller diameter, more streamlined design would be better.

There are many good ways to add weight to the front of your arrow...Bad Boys are a very bad way.

Last edited:
OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
They actually haven't affect the flight path, although I haven't went outside 40yds with them. I didn't think about their extra diameter being an issue as far as penatration & bone. Glad I asked. Thanks!