Bad Day at the Range

Has anyone had a day on the bench where it’s not the equipment but just the shooter? I couldn’t group as well as other days and am going to chalk it up to maybe too much caffeine, no lunch and having stuff on my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely...I find the lack of mental focus has a huge impact on my shooting performance I also shoot a fair amount of sporting clays, and if I can't clear my mind on a station my scores can plummet quickly The same happens with groupings behind the rifle

Try a few strategically placed nickels on your groups, they’ll tighten right up haha :D

Seriously though... it happens. Sometimes I’ll switch to my 22 at closer ranges and at larger targets. Quit worrying about tight groups and just the fundamentals and having fun for a bit.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like I know right away those days I’m not on my A game. I usually just call it a day early if I’m doing load development

Yup... I think we all have those days. I usually bring out some handguns just in case my rifle skills are shit.. Not only do you get to blow thru a bunch of rounds, but an 8" group at 20 yards is perfectly adequate.

mt100gr.

WKR
I've quit before I started numerous times. Literally.

Get home, kids are wild, forgot a chore, all of a sudden I'm an hour behind. Mind starts racing, I know that I'll be pressed for time....might as well not waste any more time and money.

I also know that if I haven't eaten in awhile my focus will be garbage.

I've also felt when things are falling apart while I am shooting - both archery and rifle. Time to call it. 4 good, composed and deliberate shots are better than 20 just OK shots.

archp625

WKR
I think it happens to all of us. I remember getting ready last year to hunt out west I was shooting a ton. There was one day I couldn't miss the 8" plate out to 500 yards. I went the following weekend and could barely hit the 300 yard plate. I got so frustrated I started firing fast with authority. I got home and realized all I did was make noise that day and i should have stopped, evaluated and possibly should have went home.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yep we all have them. Some days I can lay prone and hear the birds singing and the leaves rustling and be at one. These days I can't miss the 10" plate at 600. Other days it feels like a freight train is rattling through my body. The latter I fire 5 deliberate shots as well as I can, keeping good form and follow through, see the results and go home. I still force myself to shoot. This has helped me shrink my "not cool" groups by half. While they aren't twitter groups they are still kill groups.

Some days like that I realize it’s me and I’ll pack up and leave. No big deal just not your day

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shoot horribly on an empty stomach. And I don't shoot very well trying to do groups at 100 or 200, I stress myself doing it. But when I stretch it out to steel targets I shoot way better.

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, been there. I usually bring a couple guns when I go to the range in case of this. Then i can just shoot another one for fun and go home.

Wapiti1

WKR
Just in case this is a plea to justify a new rifle purchase.

Nope, never happens. That rifle is a turd. You should get a new one in 6.5 somethingorother and top it with a NX8 in the power range that most appeals to you. A nice Tikka, or better yet something from Seekins.

Jeremy

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Just in case this is a plea to justify a new rifle purchase.

Nope, never happens. That rifle is a turd. You should get a new one in 6.5 somethingorother and top it with a NX8 in the power range that most appeals to you. A nice Tikka, or better yet something from Seekins.

Jeremy
This works the best for me...I've got where I love bad days at the range. I can shoot a 3 MOA group and the Wife tells me "That's Great".

16Bore

WKR
If you can’t hack the range, what’s going to happen after 5 hours of sleep, cold, hungry, sore legs, outta breath, and soaking wet?