Bad day in Idaho panhandle

87TT

WKR
The guy was out of line but who knows, maybe he had been working a bull for a few hours and it got blown out by the OP (not that he did any thing wrong). Still no reason to be a d**k. I hiked in into a spot and just as I eased into where I wanted to be, I see the orange hat of a guy sitting where I was going to. I was behind him about 20 yards and he never knew it. I just backed out. As I was backing out, I spotted elk moving up a ridge in front of him. It was rifle season and the elk were about 350 yards. I moved back to see if he saw them before I thought about taking a shot. He was aiming so I waited until he shot twice and the elk disappeared over the hill. Then I softly whistled to let him know I was there. We talked and I helped him look for his elk (he missed) and we exchanged numbers and both offered to help pack out if either was successful and parted ways. Three days later I went back in there early only to see two hunters across the meadow when the sun came up. I decided to move and go to plan B which turned into C. An hour later I had and elk down. I heard two shots while I was breaking down my elk and it turns out those guys got one too.
It's PUBLIC land

FLAK

WKR
You probably bumped some elk off somebody that was there before you. They're talking about some A**hole that screwed up their hunt at the last moment.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
That’s the sad part. We had walked the long way around to come in with wind in our face. He took the short walk after riding his wheeler behind a locked gate. I am 99% he was a resident as there was lock with local plates and 2 other wheelers at the gat he would have went down.

exppi

FNG
Some people have no manners. I am used to contending with others on public land. This year has seemed extreme with camps and people buzzing around on UTV’s.

Swede

WKR
All of my hunting life I have observed there are a few jerks in the forests. Crowding exacerbates the problem. Even in the 1950s there were hunters that muscled their way to take advantage of others. This in nothing new, and the state is not going to solve it. Sorry for your problem.

Sorry to hear that, becoming all to common these days. It’s seems like crowding is getting worse yet hunter numbers keep dropping...I don’t quite get that.

I will say I have noticed an increase in unfriendly people this season.. as an adult I can look passed it. But your kids having to deal with it just makes the attitude even more unacceptable...

Marble

WKR
I dont really see how being devisive and insulting residents of other states helps or makes this site better.

It sucks the OP had that experience. I haven't had any issues like that with another hunter, but I have had issues with outfitters.

If someone said or did something like that to me in the woods I would laugh.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hunting is just one more place impatient and rude people can be. Most of the bad hunter run ins I’ve observed were in the Cabelas parking lot when some grabs a parking space another was waiting on...

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
The drive behind locked gate thing has really escalated at least to me in the last couple years Since I moved back..To bad it doesn't seem to get policed. Last year a guy and his kid drove around a gate and passed us 2 mile's back. My friends argued I just took pics of their plates figured a least I could turn them in once I had cell service on top. After that they turned around. Even had a online argument with local saying locked and posted gates only counted during any weapon hunts. At least 5 different ATVs in travel restriction zones last 2 years. Everytime and every instance it's locals or at least plates on atv is Idaho. Most non resident hunters I run into are back packing and or truck camping near a spot they dayhunt. Seems like slobs not willing to compete with increased competition feeling entitled.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
I used to get worked up about NR coming to Illinois to hunt WT, then I realized that I was that NR when I crossed the Mississippi.
I obey the rules, kinda had to seeing that I worked for Illinois DNR. I’ve never had a bad experience when hunting out west. In fact, most residents I’ve interacted with have been friendly and helpful.
I guess it boils down to what kind of attitude you hit the woods with.