Bad day in Idaho panhandle

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
If thats the worst thing that youve experienced hunting then I truly hope you and your boys never have to see half the unethical and dangerous shit Ive seen in California and even Montana. I would have gone and talked to the guy. Then found his rig and made sure his fuel lines were nice and secure. People deserve hard lessons in life, be a dick get treated like a dick.

TheTone

WKR
Nothing would benefit elk hunting in the northern half of Idaho more than real atv restrictions IMO. Unfortunately using them is practically culture up here and the mixed land ownership makes it really hard to stop when a trail may go through multiple ownerships. Sadly lots of “hunters” think riding around all day and hoping something stands still long enough to pop a shot at it is hunting.

njdoxie

WKR
I wish any and all ATV violations were reported promptly with pics to back it up, would stop a lot of that bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If thats the worst thing that youve experienced hunting then I truly hope you and your boys never have to see half the unethical and dangerous shit Ive seen in California and even Montana. I would have gone and talked to the guy. Then found his rig and made sure his fuel lines were nice and secure. People deserve hard lessons in life, be a dick get treated like a dick.
i have hunted in almost every western state. there is no state immune. there are more and more idiots everywhere..... and it cannot be pinned on out-of-stater any more than it can be pinned on locals.

JakeSCH

WKR
Two idahoans yell at each other for elk hunting, Californians blamed. Haha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

by far my favorite comment...everyone has an axe to grind against Californians.

I'm sorry OP, but at least its a good lessons for your kids. They will remember and hopefully never treat someone else that same way.

Last edited:
Two idahoans yell at each other for elk hunting, Californians blamed. Haha

by far my favorite comment...everyone has an axe to grid against Californians.

I'm a recovering Californian. We should get some credit for leaving the state and not trying to change the one we move to :) I apologize for other CAs who can't accept there are states not like theirs. Most of us are cool, many of us are not.

Wrench

WKR
You should see Washington state elk season. 99 legal hunting hours to kill a spike bull in a state with 250k hunters.

Michael54

WKR
Ultimately hunting out west is going to go the way of the east i'm afraid. You will either have to own your own land, know someone who does and gives you permission, or hunt shoulder to shoulder with everyone else. Its the people that are changing sadly and not for the better.

COOPDUCK

FNG
Sorry to hear that, becoming all to common these days. It’s seems like crowding is getting worse yet hunter numbers keep dropping...I don’t quite get that.

Feel the same way. F&G and all the stats keep saying hunter recruitment is way down, its a dying breed. But man my eyeballs sure witness a different story.

Really is a bummer there are folks out in the woods that have such a bad attitude. Was just up on a wilderness hunt and the few hunters I ran into were polite and had good conversations. It's usually the nonhunting hikers that give us the hassle. Sorry this happened to you, I know if I see someone out hunting with kids I vacate in hopes that they harvest something as my favorite deer was the one I harvested with my father. Hope you find your kids some game to make some great memories.

COOPDUCK

FNG
the % of the total population that hunts is way down from 40 years ago

Yes, but the population has about doubled in the last 50 years, and meanwhile the access to huntable lands has probably been more than halved.

Gobbler36

WKR
All we can do is ban together as Idahoans and pressure f&g to do the right thing and make all nr tags draw only, with the ever growing population will probably eventually need to cap more hunts for residents as well but cutting NR tags first should get us by for now.

Bring on the hate mail

Rob5589

WKR
All we can do is ban together as Idahoans and pressure f&g to do the right thing and make all nr tags draw only, with the ever growing population will probably eventually need to cap more hunts for residents as well but cutting NR tags first should get us by for now.

Bring on the hate mail
Draw only won't reduce the numbers. The non res tag allocation would have to be reduced. But again, it is the significant increase in new resident hunters putting more boots on the mountain, not significantly more non res hunters.
I have said it before; if the non res hunters are truly ruining the res hunters experience, go to IDFG and demand that non res hunting be significantly reduced, or eliminated altogether. It's your state, do with it what you want.

Gobbler36

WKR
Draw only won't reduce the numbers. The non res tag allocation would have to be reduced. But again, it is the significant increase in new resident hunters putting more boots on the mountain, not significantly more non res hunters.
I have said it before; if the non res hunters are truly ruining the res hunters experience, go to IDFG and demand that non res hunting be significantly reduced, or eliminated altogether. It's your state, do with it what you want.
I think I said mostly that. I go by what I experience and I am not running into res license plates when I’m at trailheads its OR, CA, and where else in God’s green earth