Bad day

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Headed into the Beartooths yesterday for a scouting trip. About two miles in I hit the wall and ran out of energy . Wife told me I was white as a sheet and my eyes were dark and sunken . Severe cramping in my legs and sick to my stomach. Elevation was only about 7,000 feet .I have hunted Colorado at 11,500 and did ok . Barely made it back to the trailhead . Elevation sickness ?

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe an electrolyte imbalance? Are you eating the same types of food you normally do? Sometimes a change in diet can trigger those symptoms

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Most likely. Throw in dehydrated.
I never had a problem,then one day walking back to my cabin with empty canteen and hit similar wall half mile away. Bad headache along with cramps. Drank a half gallon of water & laid down. Was fine half hour later.

OP
C

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
I live at 680 feet in Oklahoma. Stayed in billings for two days , spent a day in Red lodge before we hit the trailhead .

OP
C

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm . Thought I was eating and drinking enough. Maybe I underestimated the dry air .

Hmmm . Thought I was eating and drinking enough. Maybe I underestimated the dry air .

Have to pound a gallon the day before atleast.
And in summer weather I'm pounding 2 gallons a day hiking.
If your drinking coffee that is a dehydrating thing so have to make up for that.

If your in town get some gatorade powder or nuun tablets. If there's a sportsman's warehouse get some wilderness athlete hydrate and recover.
Its a staple for me in the mountains.

S.Clancy

WKR
I doubt it but you need to visit a doctor if the symptoms continue. Somethin's up.
Yea, I would go to a doctor honestly. That seems like something different. If my performance decreased to the point where I couldn't go, I'd be on the way to the hospital.

Mt Al

WKR
Had a similar experience several years ago, but not as bad as yours sounds. I'd get a blood test pronto, Billings Clinic will do you right. Might have the flu or Rona or something.

That doesn't sound great. Without knowing a lot of details about you that is difficult to answer. Did descending result in a noticeable improvement? If no then likely not entirely an altitude issue. Altitude may have contributed to whatever you had going on though. What eventually made you feel better? Rest?

OP
C

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Decending and good night's sleep and I felt alot better . Seem to be feeling pretty normal now .

OP
C

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe too much too fast . Wanting to go high and living at low altitude kinda sucks.

Avoid excessive caffeine and alcohol, they don't help. Drink PLENTY of water (If your pee is dark yellow, you're not drinking enough). At least a gallon of water per day. If you are exerting yourself, drink more. It takes a day or two of hydration before your body catches up. Sometimes, water alone is not enough to make up for lost electrolytes (causing cramps and light headedness). Consider Gatorade or Power Ade (sugar free version) or pedialyte to replace electrolytes.

Last edited:
Maybe too much too fast . Wanting to go high and living at low altitude kinda sucks.

For perspective. Guys that live in Denver still get sick hunting higher. Seems to be quite a bit luck based.

But I've gone on some dumb walkabouts that ended with no water all day and sounded like you did. Get back to the car trying not to pass out. Heatstroke can have the same affect.