Bad Elf Pro Bluetooth GPS

cuzmort

FNG
Good afternoon all,

Hopefully this is the right sub forum for this, but I thought I would take a minute and give you all my experiences with the Bad Elf GPS unit and hopefully help anyone out that is interested in this product...

This little dude is pretty sweet I must say! I've used it in a variety of different habitats and elevations across the US, Mexico and Canada and have never had any issue with it obtaining satellite coverage. It's a very accurate stand alone Bluetooth GPS unit (hence why some people use it for survey activities) and also the elevation readings have been spot on from my experience. Ive used it in helicopters and fixed wing aircraft and it works great (even at 33,000'). It also retains a charge quite well and I've used it over multi-day trips just cutting it off at night or when I didn't need it. I would guess a charge would last 36-48 hrs, but haven't left it on that long to see yet.

The unit itself was designed to be used with Apple operating systems, but there are a couple of 3rd party apps (I use Bluetooth GPS v 1.3.7) that will allow connecting to Android devices. It works great.

I typically use it to connect to my phone (Galaxy) or iPad and use it with either background maps in the Avenza or GAIA GPS apps. I do a lot of GIS type work in my day job and make most of my own background maps (ArcGIS, geoPDfs) for hunting trips so I do not have experience using this unit with onX maps which I see many of the members of this forum use, but I would think it would work seamlessly with this app.

It's a pretty small unit (snuff can sized, have never weighed it) and has been durable so far, but I typically keep it in either my pack or front pant pocket. I also crimped it to a carabineer with some heavy monofilament fishing line as I felt it was a more secure option than the tether provided by the factory. I have no experience with the warranty (2 yrs I think) or Bad Elf customer service, but from what I can tell they are a pretty reputable company and have a fair service policy. It should be noted that the unit doesn't float so be careful! I would also love to see some type of protective case offered, but haven't found anything yet.

I think this unit would be perfect for guys/gals who typically use their phone as the primary navigation tool with background maps. Just upload your maps, turn off cellular data, and navigate freely. An app is available for download (free I think) that has a variety of different navigation tools and settings, but I haven't used this much as I pretty much just use the Avenza or GAIA...also not sure if this app is available for Droid?

It really is a sweet little unit with many applications for the backcountry hunter/fisherman. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Ive learned a ton about gear from the forum so hopefully I can return the favor.

Cheers!