Bad Elk Callers in the Woods

JPD350

WKR
You sound like a ton of fun...

Guess I shouldn't have went over to a group of guys sky busting snow geese one spring about a mile from our spread and told them let the birds work and they don't always have to shoot the first birds in the flock. Some may slide off but ones above them may commit. I could watch in my binos as they made the same mistake over and over knowing if they had patience they would pull birds lower and get better shooting.

Bet they really hated me after they shot more birds after that.

The OP was being semi serious in a joking tone.
Lol, fun is my middle name and good for you!

I know exactly how the OP was being........

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Same song and dance with growing up duck hunting in the Southeast (anywhere really). Whether it’s terrible calling scaring ducks away, sky blasting, or setting up 50 yards from someone else. In my opinion, common courtesy and respect has gone out the window with new age hunting. Everyone is just out to get “theirs” and don’t give a d*** about others… I personally think the ‘gram’ (social media in general) has exacerbated the issue because folks are constantly trying to get likes and outdo the next person, rather than be courteous and help each other be successful.

With all that in regard to western hunting, there should be a desire in folks to be at least decent at calling before jumping in head first blasting bugles into the canyon, but maybe that’s just me. With technology available these days, there really is no excuse to not be at least “decent”. It’s part of the responsibility to yourself and your fellow hunters to put in the efforts to get better, not just 1 week a year when you actually go west. Saying they’re bad callers because they only hunt 7-10 days a year is an excuse for them. Cnelk or others can correct me if I’m wrong, but for someone to come out, sound like crap and mess up someone else’s hunt, likely comes off as lazy to those who put in their time and effort all year for success….

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
While I whole heartedly agree that people should get their crap together before they go out because it is in their best interest to do so but the issue is the world is full of people that don't, never will, don't give a crap how good you are, if they jack your hunt up or if they are even proficient with their weapon, there are a boat load of issues and you can pick your battles but you probably shouldn't do it out in the field.

A person will have a heck lot more "fun" while out hunting if they just mind their own business and take care of themselves, move on like cnelk and kill an elk somewhere else. Through the years I have encountered a boat load of people out in the field that absolutely appreciated a little help, they either ask for it or it happens just by a respectful encounter and conversation.

Rob5589

WKR
There should be some proficiency test before a hunt. That and knowing the difference between a bull and a spike.

Overdrive

WKR
There should be some proficiency test before a hunt. That and knowing the difference between a bull and a spike.
Genetically a spike is a Bull hahaha

Sounds like this whole thing is more about people being upset because someone was in or has found "their spot" got to love public lands.

I'm pretty sure not everyone from day one was an expert caller and worked many years to get to where they're at, good for the guys still working at it and willing to improve their skills. I enjoy helping the elk hunters I guide thru the Fall many don't know how to use their calls and they ask me for help while I'm guiding them, by the end of their 5 day hunt they are doing some calling along side me and they leave with knowledge about it and pure excitement for the next time they come out.

As with a lot of things in life, in a normally distributed population, there is inherently the very good and very bad ends of the population. Nothing anyone does can change that, it's just statistics. Probably better to just be grateful it's not you and move on.

I remember the first bugle I ever got a response on, a chuckle on the next ridge over. I'm convinced that it was just another hunter 'laughing' at my attempt. No matter, I kept at it and got better.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
That’s public land. America…..land of the free. But maybe not talented too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yea that's what we need in the elk woods, people that think so highly of themselves confronting others that may not be as good a caller as them, wtf! anybody that considers this needs to think twice, I am glad cnelk did not do this and I hope no one else does as a result of this thread. I am not a bad caller or an unfriendly person but if someone confronted me for a stupid reason it would not be a good thing for them, just leave me the F alone and don't come into my zone unless you are of friendly respectful mindset, bullshit is not tolerated and there will be no sheepish response.

Do I like bad callers out in the woods, hunters that place camps in stupid locations, road hunters or hunters with bad ethics and morals? nope but better and smarter than thou confrontation is not a good thing

Tend to agree with you on this. This is right up there with a few “hardcore” guys on here ridiculing others for wearing camo. Just scratch my head sometimes. In today’s world everyone is so worried about what others are doing.
On the other hand, over calling can be quite aggravating-and the quad story Justin mentioned is about as crappy as it gets.

Cnelk-love your input around here-pretty sure you were saying this all tongue in cheek 👍

Yeah, well your post struck a nerve too.

Maybe if all the whitetail hunters that come out west wouldn’t hunt elk like whitetails their success would be better.

Here’s your mic….

Seems you like to use treestands quite a bit. WT tactics at its best. I'd argue if more guys used WT tactics in the elk woods, 1. The elk would hang around longer, and 2, guys would end up killing more elk.

As usual, our camp put 4 down the opening weekend, 3 of the 4 using WT tactics.

Cowbell

WKR
Two years ago my hunting buddy and I argued 4-5 min over whether the awful bugles we were hearing was actually an elk, as he insisted it was Doug Flutie. It was his turn to shoot and he wanted to keep rolling, but i told him I was going after that bull if he wasn't. It turned out to be his best bull to date.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yea that's what we need in the elk woods, people that think so highly of themselves confronting others that may not be as good a caller as them, wtf! anybody that considers this needs to think twice, I am glad cnelk did not do this and I hope no one else does as a result of this thread. I am not a bad caller or an unfriendly person but if someone confronted me for a stupid reason it would not be a good thing for them, just leave me the F alone and don't come into my zone unless you are of friendly respectful mindset, bullshit is not tolerated and there will be no sheepish response.

Do I like bad callers out in the woods, hunters that place camps in stupid locations, road hunters or hunters with bad ethics and morals? nope but better and smarter than thou confrontation is not a good thing
Guess you hunt by yourself a lot from that attitude.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
Guess you hunt by yourself a lot from that attitude.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And what attitude is that? to leave people alone and want to be left alone, to have the opinion that confrontation can be a double edged sword and that folks should be careful who they tread upon? Lol thats some real bad unlikeable attitude.
FK with me and I'll FK you back! I don't call that bad attitude either, I call that not putting up with dicks running around pushing their self generated superior qualities on others so you are right, if a person is a dick I wouldn't be hunting with them.

So I wrote all that and didn't say one derogatory thing about you, excuse me for my bad attitude..........

elkyinzer

WKR
We all start somewhere. I was awful my first time, and I was not shy about pretending I knew what I was trying to accomplish. I practiced and practiced for a good 18 months. The first 6ish fighting the gag reflex because I am by no means the natural at diapraghm calls.

I got decent, but man the stage fright when out in the woods, it got to me. And I still called elk in. Now ripping a nice 3-note is second nature to me, but it's funny how few elk sound as good as me. I can't measure up to your elk experience and I think the playbooks are a joke, but don't get me started on the the damn hoochie momma. That's where I draw the line.

Then about halfway through my 2nd elk trip I learned calling doesn't mean shit. They are loud, large, stinky animals and you hunt them the same way you hunt anything else, except they are way easier to find and coming from a whitetail backfround, they are honestly pretty damn stupid. Big country and hard to get to but not much for brains. Hunt them and keep some basic calling in your back pocket in case you need to pull out all the stops.

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
What would happen if a person just hollared as loud as they could right after the horsepoo call that it was horsepoo?
"Buugggllleeeeeeeerrrerrrerr"
"That *-!$-&#($** sucked!" <---as loud as possible
The ELK would probably run off.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Usually the guy that thinks, his calls sound better than the other hunters calls, is the worst one.
Figure out how to hunt the hunters rather than focus on the animals.