BAD Food MILEAGE

EastMT

WKR
Trail mix is high calories per once, the commercial stuff I got burned out on, so I started making my own with better stuff, dark choc m&ms, cashews, etc, quality stuff besides nasty ol peanuts. I find if food isn’t good I have a hard time eating enough and can get gassed when hunting hard.

Breakfast- 2 instant oatmeals with added coconut, nuts, dried fruit, or oil for lots of calories, coffee of choice

Trail mix for day time snack/lunch

Clif Blocks black cherry caffeine gummies for quick pick me up if needed.

Night- used to take mountain house, now I’ve found I like to buy the big ramen bowl, freeze dried veggies below, freeze dried corn for calories, some oil for calories, put in a boil bag, makes nice veggie stew add some camp meat to it. Use my own seasoning mix for way less salt. Costs less than $2 a meal and I enjoy the mix.

I do occasionally pack the mountain house biscuits and gravy, these are shocking good if you haven’t had them, nice change once in awhile.

If the wind doesn’t blow, take to the oars.

TheGDog

WKR
Right on. Yeah.. one time coming out of the main place I focus on.. was like mid July... was just too hot so decided to call it after checking the cams. As I was hiking out, I was being really hard on myself for feeling out of shape. Kept having to stop and drop the pack and let the heat out of my body. Throw down the tripod stool and scooch up into the shadow of whatever bush was nearby. That type of thing. Taking significantly longer than normal to exit.

Get back to the truck, turn the key... the Thermometer comes on... Oh.. ok.. now I don't feel so bad about myself anymore.. was 116F, eek!

TheGDog

WKR
I do occasionally pack the mountain house biscuits and gravy, these are shocking good if you haven’t had them, nice change once in awhile.

I LOVE their Biscuits and Gravy meal for breakfast! Soo good! And doesn't seem to upset my sensitive stomach! At least, not much. The gas is aromatic though, I will say, hehe.

The other one of theirs I bring is their Beef Stroganoff for dinners! Damn tasty! I used to just bring their Chicken and Mashed Potatoes since it was about the only other one that didn't have ingredients I can't do. But that one can be a bit of a "choking it down" type of scenario.

I was soo happy to find that Beef Stroganoff one though! Because I have to skip any and all of their offerings where they make up for the lack of flavor the typical way all these companies do of just throwing a ton of bell peppers at the problem. Bell Peppers are among the worst for me for acid and IBS type of symptoms. So I was soo happy to find that the Beef Stroganoff tasted good and was tolerated well!

ridgefire

WKR
Breakfast - Costco muffin and coffee
Breaks/Lunch - Jerky, Lara bars or some sort of protein bar, almonds, some sort of candy, fruit snacks, zip fizz and usually some sort of gel shot
Dinner - Typically a 2 serving Mountain House.

The Costco muffin in the morning is really easy and their is 920 calories in the apple crumb. I can usually make it til 9am or so without stopping for food. I think I am typically around 4000 calories or so per day and still lose weight over the 12-13 days that I am on my elk hunt.