Bad form elk hunting?

Gerbdog

WKR
Yup you said it, bad form, know your limits... and if that means you didnt bring a boat.... that means you didnt bring a boat...
I dont mind so much that they shot them along a popular trail... i'm sure that happens every year in every state, some people are just lucky like that with their hunting.
What bothers me is that they didnt take the moment to figure out if that river was crossable ..... or have a raft planned already (which is what they ended up doing it seems after reading article).
Like the article said... it was all totally legal
I have a spot that is across a river but... i dont hunt it if it just rained and the river is too high to cross, i make sure its something i can manage even loaded down with meat.
Wonder if the meat was still good, sounds like it sat there with the guts still in it and "bloating" for a long while according to the article but was rafted out 33 hours later...

OP
P

Poser

WKR
“The elk carcasses, meanwhile, sat untouched and bloating up in the sunlight for hours. The elderly hunting party hadn’t thought out how they’d get to the elk, and once they sized up the Snake they realized they’d risk their lives if they tried to ford it.”

Here’s my favorite part:

“Through some connections to people in town, the Upper Midwesterners procured a canoe and wheelbarrow as tools for extracting the meat. But the Snake River is running unseasonably swift, and their first attempt at a crossing resulted in a capsize, a soaked Minnesotan and an unmanned canoe being carried downstream.”

Gerbdog

WKR
“The elk carcasses, meanwhile, sat untouched and bloating up in the sunlight for hours. The elderly hunting party hadn’t thought out how they’d get to the elk, and once they sized up the Snake they realized they’d risk their lives if they tried to ford it.”

Here’s my favorite part:

“Through some connections to people in town, the Upper Midwesterners procured a canoe and wheelbarrow as tools for extracting the meat. But the Snake River is running unseasonably swift, and their first attempt at a crossing resulted in a capsize, a soaked Minnesotan and an unmanned canoe being carried downstream.”
Haha yea... i saw that... was pondering what they were planning to do with the wheelbarrow .....

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Haha yea... i saw that... was pondering what they were planning to do with the wheelbarrow .....

I was thinking the same. Like, you could put a dead cow elk and a wheelbarrow in the Crossfit games and no one would successfully get an elk in a wheelbarrow much less make it 5 yards, but 2 79 year olds were going to do that + a canoe crossing?

Gerbdog

WKR
I was thinking the same. Like, you could put a dead cow elk and a wheelbarrow in the Crossfit games and no one would successfully get an elk in a wheelbarrow much less make it 5 yards, but 2 79 year olds were going to do that + a canoe crossing?
Clearly a wheelbarrow is sort of boat shaped and therefore it must float.... we are gonna use this to pull along behind the canoe with meat in it!

11boo

WKR
Criminal behavior not poor form.

i guess not criminal.

One of Nesvik’s employees, warden Jon Stephens, was able to rendezvous with Geringer and his crew while they strategized Sunday evening about how to reach their downed elk. Even though their harvest was legal, he gave them a talking to.