Bad hit

Got a shot on a bear yesterday and I'm pretty sure I hit low or just under him. I searched the hill side for a few hours and didn't find a drop of blood. I'm wondering, will he stay in the same area or did I send him into the next county?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

MeatBuck

WKR
If he ran for his life then probably gone for a while. Also depends on if you randomly encountered it or if you’ve seen it there before. If it’s on a food source or has reason to be there he’ll go back but when is the question.

Got a shot on a bear yesterday and I'm pretty sure I hit low or just under him. I searched the hill side for a few hours and didn't find a drop of blood. I'm wondering, will he stay in the same area or did I send him into the next county?

I would have spent more than a few hours looking for it. Bears dont leave blood trails even with good hits because of all of the fat and hair. Its probably dead under a log somewhere. I have killed several and none have left a blood trail.

OP
Bear_Kramer
I'm pretty sure I crossed paths with him a few days prior and I did find some choke cherries amongst the oak brush that he ran into so I'm almost positive that's his little home area.

OP
Bear_Kramer
I'd say I was on the heavy side of a few hours. I took the shot at about 10am, waited 30 minutes, took another 30 minutes to make the 175 as a crow flies yrds and from 11am to 3pm did a grid pattern NESW of what I could on the hillside. From 3 to dark I crossed the drainage and scanned the area again with my spotter and basically the same thing yesterday and today with the exception of hitting it with the spotter again from sun up. I have a feeling it was a complete miss. I also put a game cam on the only water hole to see if a wounded bear comes in.

OP
Bear_Kramer
UPDATE: I found my bear!20200922_131914.jpg As I had thought, my shot was super low. He made it just shy of 500 yards from where I took the shot. Unfortunately it was to late to salvage any meat.

OP
Bear_Kramer
Your not the South Dakota boy we visited with about this? A beautiful bear man it’s unfortunate.
I think so, you guys had the red Chevy and also from sodak?

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I think so, you guys had the red Chevy and also from sodak?

Haha yup that guy that farted as you walked up to the window yeah hard to forget that, that was us!! Nice fricken bear man, didn’t even think to ask to check it out when we were visiting. Bummer about the recovery man, you’ll have to get back out there!