Bad Lapua?

I bought 2 boxes of 7mm-08 Lapua brass and they have the same lot number. I have shot through the 1st box with no issues. Loaded a few out of the 2nd box and went to the range today. First round I pushed the bolt and it stopped just short of fully forward and the round was jammed in the chamber. Well, crap, I dont have a rod with me to push it out so I had to go home.

I get home and push it out. Take one of the unloaded pieces of brass and go to chamber it and same thing. I still have a few unloaded cases from the 1st box so try one and it cycles fine. I start measuring the unloaded brass and the neck on the 2nd box measures .01 wider than the neck on the 1st box. The body is the same. I have a couple of loaded rounds from the 1st box so I measure a loaded round from each and the 2nd box is about .008 wider at the neck. Bullets are all from the same box but I grabbed some and they all measure the same.

It appears that the case wall on the neck is thicker on the 2nd box. Anyone else seen this happen?

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
It happened to me with a 7mm-08 as well it was factory loaded Nosler E tip. They replaced the box. But now I cycle my ammo before I go hunting.

OP
MuleyFever
Unfortunately, its a buy what you can find market. I dont know what to do now. I dont have the ability to turn the necks.

Ram94

WKR
That’s a huge variance in neck thickness. Might be worth getting ahold of Lapua on that and see what they can do for you. Something went very wrong on their end.

Dcrafton

WKR
Unfortunately, its a buy what you can find market. I dont know what to do now. I dont have the ability to turn the necks.

619d619b45efc567db72b08dacd5715a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
I bought 2 boxes of 7mm-08 Lapua brass and they have the same lot number. I have shot through the 1st box with no issues. Loaded a few out of the 2nd box and went to the range today. First round I pushed the bolt and it stopped just short of fully forward and the round was jammed in the chamber. Well, crap, I dont have a rod with me to push it out so I had to go home.

I get home and push it out. Take one of the unloaded pieces of brass and go to chamber it and same thing. I still have a few unloaded cases from the 1st box so try one and it cycles fine. I start measuring the unloaded brass and the neck on the 2nd box measures .01 wider than the neck on the 1st box. The body is the same. I have a couple of loaded rounds from the 1st box so I measure a loaded round from each and the 2nd box is about .008 wider at the neck. Bullets are all from the same box but I grabbed some and they all measure the same.

It appears that the case wall on the neck is thicker on the 2nd box. Anyone else seen this happen?

What kind of case prep do you do before loading?

Dcrafton

WKR
All the more reason to buy from Alpha when possible. I just chamfer for my first loading. I did 400 rounds of my PRS 6BRA that way and they shoot 10 shot groups 1/4” and under.
539046e24a17ba0681d4edf84694f2ff.jpg

This is how you receive them when you buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It might be worth while acquiring a neck turner ?. I use one and skim my once fired brass. I have yet to need to turn new brass, other than Hornady, ADG and Nosler in my 28 Nos. But I appreciate the ability to skim necks after a ton of firings, if needed.
I am in Beaver, and have a NIB Hornady Neck turner. It's the same model I currently use. I ordered 2 by mistake, thinking I successfully canceled the one order due to long lead time. I believe we talked before, about some hunting here? Anyway I would make you a great deal on this, if Lapua can't replace these in a timely manner and you need to get these loaded..

OP
MuleyFever
It might be worth while acquiring a neck turner ?. I use one and skim my once fired brass. I have yet to need to turn new brass, other than Hornady, ADG and Nosler in my 28 Nos. But I appreciate the ability to skim necks after a ton of firings, if needed.
I am in Beaver, and have a NIB Hornady Neck turner. It's the same model I currently use. I ordered 2 by mistake, thinking I successfully canceled the one order due to long lead time. I believe we talked before, about some hunting here? Anyway I would make you a great deal on this, if Lapua can't replace these in a timely manner and you need to get these loaded..
Thanks for the offer. I emailed them and they responded asking some questions so I sent them the info. We will see what they say. I measured the neck width of the lot and they were from .307 to .321 in width. I dont think it is the case wall thickness as I originally thought. I looked them over a little closer and it appears the necks are flared out. If I set a bullet in the wider ones you can see it sits down in the case farther. I was just waiting to see what they say but I need to remember to measure the neck opening and wall thickness.

I assume this is virgin brass that hasn't been FL sized? Running it through a sizing die might get you squared away but Lapua shouldn't be shipping brass like that.

If we were really talking about 0.004"+ variance in neck thickness there's no way I'd waste the time to neck turn it because that brass would have to be totally fubar'd to have that much variance.