Bad shooting days

For me it's always mental. It's just like other activities, some days you can't miss and others you feel like it's your first time. Being able to identify (on your own) what is causing the issue in your form can be tough. I haven't used it for archery yet, but slow motion video on a cell phone is a great way to look for mistakes/flaws.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
When watching how your pin is moving, what do you attribute days where the pin is tough to solidify or move up ?
If you are holding good but it's sitting on the bottom of the dot that is a specific form of target panic. If you are aiming and your pin is bobbing low thats more than likely a compressed front shoulder. If you have a very loose sight pin thats making big slower movements then thats probably a draw length that's a touch long.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Also the harder you try to make the bow sit still the worse it will get. Dont over aim. Focus on the spot you want to hit and break a good shot.

Days when groups are garbage I give up on them and just focus on getting a good feeling shot sequence. To comment on getting your pin to settle, I always have to remind myself the pin shouldn't stop. My bad days are usually the days I'm trying to control where the arrow is going to much. When everything else feels good my pin just drifts up, down. across, around... the spot I want it to go and I just have to trust that's my arrow goes where I want it to. It's pretty consistent those days, definitely more the consistent than the days I force the pine to be solid and un-moving on the spot.

For the guys that shoot a lot.

Is there a logical reason for days you shoot like crap ? I shoot everyday and about once a week I am way off. I try to not shoot too many arrows and listen to my arms to combat fatigue (meaning some days I only shoot 1-5 arrows). I am also aware and try to slow things down and think through my process if I am shooting poorly. With that said some days I just can't find any consistency.

What's the school of thought on off days ? Power through and keep shooting until you reign it in ? Power through and just focus in on form and muscle memory ? Or shut it down and chalk it up as a L ?

I hate ending my session on a negative note so I typically will shoot until I have a tight group.

Thanks-
John

We all have those days. Stress can be a big factor. Just like on some days you cannot miss and your arrows are all touching. Peaks and valleys...the most universal factor I see is my state of relaxation. The less stressed I am, the better i shoot. On days when I just don't give a crap and shoot for the sheer joys of it...I shoot great. Multiply this 100 fold when shooting trad. I wouldn't worry about it much.

gburk

WKR
Too much caffeine ??? Following a shoulder/chest workout day??? Anything you can think of that’s different the day b4 ur bad shooting days ???
my pin float usually increases if left shoulder is tired for weightlifting or other reasons. In those cases I need to allow myself some leeway and not fight it too much, or it could become a bad day.

When you have these bad shooting days, are you just throwing arrows at a bullseye at different distances? Change it up. Don't shoot bullseyes. Shoot at the edge of the target, the corners, or whatever else you can find that's not a bullseye.

That’s a good one. I’ve found I have trouble aiming if I’m not aiming at the center of the target. Sometimes the corners help my mental execution a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dillan48

FNG
My eyes get tired after a few arrows so whenever my groups start expanding I take a 10-20 min break and then get back after it. Hopefully this helps...

Marble

WKR
If i shoot like shit I will first try to blame my bow and double check everything.

Next I'll sit in a chair and stare at the target while I try to figure out why I suck so bad. Then go through my process in my head and visualize a perfect shot and then make the decision to go do it.

If it doesnt work well then I go in the house.

Its probably not the bow....

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
yeah I have definitely concluded it's not the bow.

a few things I have worked on lately that have helped.

I apply a word (mantra) to every step in my shot process (example for my footing I say the word "hips" to make sure I line up right/feet are in the right spot, for grip I say "line" to remind myself to use my line on my hand as reference and so on)

I have worked on a new anchor routine and location. string slightly touches center of nose, fletching is in corner of mouth (actually tearing my lip up) and knuckles on jaw line.

I am also letting down if the shot feels like a turd.

the thing I can't seem to get past is consistent execution, almost like I blank out at release.

progress though, mostly 2 inch groups at 20 yards. 3 inch at 30 yards, I fall off past that. and the occasional flyer.

Last edited:

406unltd

WKR
For me sometimes I’m able to nail down the cause of an off day. I never shoot poorly at 40 and under to where I wouldn’t make a good shot on an animal. For me it happens past that distance, and it’s my pin movement which causes me to over aim instead of breaking a good shot off. I shoot a hinge, and so when that happens I just continue to make the best shots I can and I DO NOT get down on myself. Truth is that it doesn’t happen that often and it’s ok to be shaky sometimes. Whether the cause is a small form issue, grip, lack of sleep, physically tired, too much coffee in the early morning when I shoot, or whatever it may be, I keep a short memory of it and the next day your usually back on it. I will say though that if I’m having a problem I will check my form and grip throughout my shot process and make sure that is all in check. Once I’ve sured that up I’m typically looking at something I can’t control. Hyper focus on the middle and not the pin is what I try to do when the chips are stacked against me that day. Then I give myself success by shooting close and making sure I execute a sound shot. All in the name of maintaining confidence. Nothing more nothing less. I go for that low hanging fruit and even though I frequently go for the good stuff up high, I still enjoy it and it feels good. This sets me up for success the next time I’m out.

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Had a day like this today. Started off decent; but then everything fell apart. Ended up missing my block and shooting my barn! 😂 I was anxious and frustrated and could feel myself punching the trigger. But tomorrow is a new day!