Badger pelt

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning everyone,

I had been trying to trap a badger here at our house for about a week and a half now. Well, last night i finally caught him! My first critter in a foothold trap. Hes a beautiful male and id like to put him on the wall in miniature bear rug fashion. I know how to skin him out but as for proper pelt care and prep to put a material backing on it is where i have questions. Do i just scrape the extra flesh and meat off then salt it to dry or is there a cure mix that would be best to prep him with? Thanks for any tips and advice! I'm pumped to have my first badger in hand!

Fitzwho

WKR
Get one of the tanning kits from MacKenzie Taxidermy for the kit. To start, remove as much flesh that isn't skin, then salt the hide with non-iodized, fine pickling salt. fold it skin to skin and roll it up to where the opening of the skin is all to one side, set that on an inclined board to drain fluid away from it. Resalt after a couple days. This is the first step in their kit. You'll then put it in an acidic bath with the chemicals provided in the kit. I did this with a bobcat in college (12 years ago now). Haven't lost a hair from the hide. You can download the directions from their website and get the salting done while the kit is being shipped to you.

On a side note. My dad killed a badger last year. He had it tube skinned and tanned professionally. It has the claws still in place on the feet and lays out on a table with the legs and claws visible. I think it's the coolest way I have seen one done.

wytx

WKR
I would flesh it, salt it and then send to to Moyle Mink In Idaho for tanning. They'll tan it like Fitzwho mentioned for you for about $30 if cased and tanned as intact fur. They do good work.
The taxidermy tan for a lifesize is $70, I would go intact fur tanning.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I got a nice badger a couple years ago, I froze him whole and dropped him off to my taxidermist....he uses moyle mink for his tannery. He made him into a rug and its awesome. cost me 600 bucks.

Outlaw99

WKR
Jordan, working up a Badger is a cross between a gristly old boar coon, and a rubber band old coyote. They’re fat, greasy, and don’t flesh anywhere near as easy as a coon or coyote. You have to get all the fat and tissue off; at the same time being careful not to scrape to hard and deep where the guard hairs start pulling through. I’ve done a few to have tanned and tell myself each time never again lol. If you don’t want to mess with it, I know a pretty good tannery near me in Iowa who I believe will flesh it and tan it for a reasonable price. Pm me if you’re interested

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s a photo of it for everyone.

b4e448adde5df6c9f4a53c1056869745.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Get one of the tanning kits from MacKenzie Taxidermy for the kit. To start, remove as much flesh that isn't skin, then salt the hide with non-iodized, fine pickling salt. fold it skin to skin and roll it up to where the opening of the skin is all to one side, set that on an inclined board to drain fluid away from it. Resalt after a couple days. This is the first step in their kit. You'll then put it in an acidic bath with the chemicals provided in the kit. I did this with a bobcat in college (12 years ago now). Haven't lost a hair from the hide. You can download the directions from their website and get the salting done while the kit is being shipped to you.

On a side note. My dad killed a badger last year. He had it tube skinned and tanned professionally. It has the claws still in place on the feet and lays out on a table with the legs and claws visible. I think it's the coolest way I have seen one done.

I ordered one of the kits this morning! Looking forward to workin him up and gettin him on the wall to display. Thank you for the info! Do you have a pic of your dads badger mount? Sounds awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a really nice badger. I've been wanting a badger pelt for awhile now but I don't trap and have only ever seen a few while hunting.

I got a bobcat a few weeks ago and am having it tube skinned with claws intact and a euro of the skull.

Your dogs look like they aren't sure what to think about it. Pretty much the same with my lab when he sees something with fur come out of the truck.

FLAK

WKR
Very Nice.
I need to order one of the mKenzie kits for a case skinned Otter I have in the freezer.
Wonder what a guided Badger hunt would cost?

Last edited:

Mozer67

FNG
What is the range of badgers? I live in Kentucky and have never seen or heard of anyone ever around here seeing one in this part of the country.

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on a really nice badger. I've been wanting a badger pelt for awhile now but I don't trap and have only ever seen a few while hunting.

I got a bobcat a few weeks ago and am having it tube skinned with claws intact and a euro of the skull.

Your dogs look like they aren't sure what to think about it. Pretty much the same with my lab when he sees something with fur come out of the truck.
They weren't the badger's biggest fans. That smell resembles a musky snake in my opinion and they have had a few run ins with bull snakes this passed year. They choose their battles wisely now haha!