Badlands 195 question

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Looking for a copper option for my 300 Norma with a 10 twist. The badlands bulldozer-2 195 grain is a bullet I’ve looked at, but haven’t found much out there on it. Wanted to see if anyone has any experience reloading it and effects on game. If you’ve loaded for it and wouldn’t mind sharing information I’d appreciate that as well. From what I’ve found a 0.020-30 jump is what guys have been ranging between. When I spoke to someone at Badlands over the phone, I was told to start 0.015 and work from there so the published information seems about right for what I was told.

Thanks!

Cutting Edge and Patriot Valley Arms would be worth looking at. Hammer bullets are easy to load but the BC is not as advertised which may or may not be an issue for you.

Cutting Edge
PVA
Hammer

In that order.

There’s a big thread on the Badlands bullets over on LRH. Terminal performance and BC look very good based on the posts I’ve read.

I’m looking at trying some out as well.

The advertised BC seems almost too good to be true but a couple of posters say they have verified with actual drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
S

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
I found some 178 Cayugas at the house so might give those a go. Haven’t looked at cutting edge so I’ll check them out. That’s good to know about the BC for badlands. The 195 didn’t stabilize using Berger’s twist rate calculator, but haven’t been able to reach anyone at Badlands to talk with about the 195 bullet specifically for a 10 twist.

z987k

WKR
I found some 178 Cayugas at the house so might give those a go. Haven’t looked at cutting edge so I’ll check them out. That’s good to know about the BC for badlands. The 195 didn’t stabilize using Berger’s twist rate calculator, but haven’t been able to reach anyone at Badlands to talk with about the 195 bullet specifically for a 10 twist.
It's because of the aluminum tip that the Berger twist rate calc doesn't work quite right. It assumes the same density throughout.
This one allows for a plastic tip, so it'll probably be a little off, but not as much as assuming no tip.
https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Last edited:
OP
S

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information. I did not know that about the Berger calculator and have never used the jbm before.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
sparking this one back up... I am also looking at loading the 195's for my 300wsm. hoping to find anyone with experience with these.
Trying again. Did anyone try these? Specifically in a WSM or WM

Trying again. Did anyone try these? Specifically in a WSM or WM
Did you end up loading them? I just added .280 freebore to my 300 wsm in medium action so ill be loading 2.52” CBTO to fit in my magazine. i have H1000 and N560 to load with. Will let you know what I get.

26” Proof Barrel 1:9 twist

RULOJOE

FNG
Mine seem to be shooting a 3/4 inch group. all around a 1/4 Dot. They seem to be going in slightly Cocked. Smeared paper on the left side. Now didnt totally cool between Shot .. but 208 hornadys didnt need a cool barrel 🙄... 3250 fps.. maybe 3325 will help idk . A bit hot... i knew during the build i should have used a 1 in 9 twist instead of 1-10 but was talked out of it... not sure what to do Yet. .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110_105832_QuickPic.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110_105832_QuickPic.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0

RULOJOE

FNG

Attachments

64 KB · Views: 2

RULOJOE

FNG
These are my 195bP badlands shooting at 1/3 inch or so Homemade Target funnt ints not but a quarter inch off tatget but spread is like 3/4 of an inch. Equal distance away from the actual center. Not bad but .... this bedded contour #5 shilen barreled weatherby can and should shot better. And it does seem to with the fragile 208 Hornaday eldm's. I want my Hunting Rifles to shoot like target Rifles at 100 yards a least and most everything i have does by the time im done with it.. Anywho these bd-2's seem to go in canted the hole has a curved smeared uncut edge to it .. that is not proper.. I wish i had made this a 1-9 Twist barrel. ..., but my gun smith talked me out of it .. new project , looking at many variables, powder , optics, etc so i blew it off... yet i knew these boarderline in stability bullets would probably need the extra twist . BL precision said these were good for 1-10 twist... well i guess barely !!! Figured as much but was Hoping ! 💔 Good for most people but not me.!! Now i can speed up the load some 100 fps but... that . may not help.. over works my brass.. max speed usually deters accuracy. In this case if i can stabilize the 195's I'll buy more brass .( stable up down the Later points of travel ?? I doubt it . I do know the weatherby loads were all initially quite a bit hotter that the Sammi specs..of today . Not that I'm the strick pressure guideline type do gooder Now the Fragile 208 Hornady eldm's do go into the paper target straighter .. and i believe are a bit more Accurate . Its been a long road to get stability and performance out of this Hot shooting Load .. and I'm not there yet . These at 3,250 ( left) were 208 eldm's at 100 yards pretty good hole compaired to the bd-2's ( right) Thoughts? Don't beat me up too hard . I'm Weak from the recoil Already . Hammers ? Cutting edge? Shorter precision badlands ? Hmmmm I also haven't had any luck with articles from knowledgeable sources on bullet stability, tell tale signs & paper punching analysis .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110_140846_QuickPic.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110_140846_QuickPic.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2
    64 KB · Views: 2

z987k

WKR
These are my 195bP badlands shooting at 1/3 inch or so Homemade Target funnt ints not but a quarter inch off tatget but spread is like 3/4 of an inch. Equal distance away from the actual center. Not bad but .... this bedded contour #5 shilen barreled weatherby can and should shot better. And it does seem to with the fragile 208 Hornaday eldm's. I want my Hunting Rifles to shoot like target Rifles at 100 yards a least and most everything i have does by the time im done with it.. Anywho these bd-2's seem to go in canted the hole has a curved smeared uncut edge to it .. that is not proper.. I wish i had made this a 1-9 Twist barrel. ..., but my gun smith talked me out of it .. new project , looking at many variables, powder , optics, etc so i blew it off... yet i knew these boarderline in stability bullets would probably need the extra twist . BL precision said these were good for 1-10 twist... well i guess barely !!! Figured as much but was Hoping ! 💔 Good for most people but not me.!! Now i can speed up the load some 100 fps but... that . may not help.. over works my brass.. max speed usually deters accuracy. In this case if i can stabilize the 195's I'll buy more brass .( stable up down the Later points of travel ?? I doubt it . I do know the weatherby loads were all initially quite a bit hotter that the Sammi specs..of today . Not that I'm the strick pressure guideline type do gooder Now the Fragile 208 Hornady eldm's do go into the paper target straighter .. and i believe are a bit more Accurate . Its been a long road to get stability and performance out of this Hot shooting Load .. and I'm not there yet . These at 3,250 ( left) were 208 eldm's at 100 yards pretty good hole compaired to the bd-2's ( right) Thoughts? Don't beat me up too hard . I'm Weak from the recoil Already . Hammers ? Cutting edge? Shorter precision badlands ? Hmmmm I also haven't had any luck with articles from knowledgeable sources on bullet stability, tell tale signs & paper punching analysis .
Is your barrel actually a 10 twist? Or is it 10.2, 10.5? Some button rifled barrels don't always quite make the exact twist they're spec'd at.

At standard temperature and pressure, 10 twist for the 195 at 3250, it's just stable, but at a 10.2 twist it's not. And at say 25F/29.92inHg(sea level) it's not stable.

I always error on the side of more twist. Unless you're shooting thin jacketed varmint bullets, it's not going to hurt you until you're shooting at some long ranges where spin drift starts to matter.

Last edited:

RULOJOE

FNG
Is your barrel actually a 10 twist? Or is it 10.2, 10.5? Some button rifled barrels don't always quite make the exact twist they're spec'd at.

At standard temperature and pressure, 10 twist for the 195 at 3250, it's just stable, but at a 10.2 twist it's not. And at say 25F/29.92inHg(sea level) it's not stable.

I always error on the side of more twist. Unless you're shooting thin jacketed varmint bullets, it's not going to hurt you until you're shooting at some long ranges where spin drift starts to matter.
Not going to pull the Barrel either way soooo . I'm going to play with it more reguardless .. yes again , I wish my gunsrmith would have Listened to me and gave me my 1- 9 Twist ..