Badlands Gear thoughts

So bear in mind I know there’s guys out slaying deer every year in jeans and a flannel. I get it.

I really like the look of badlands approach FX camo pattern. I’m on the fence about what exactly I should get for late/mid season whitetail. (Exclusively archery) I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with much of their gear along with anything they loved or hated about it.

I currently have a pretty large set of Sitka subalpine gear for when i hunt in Colorado. But in Nebraksa where I live now, i’m not jazzed about the subalpine late season. I like the Sitka EVII gear and it’s much easier to tell what I would like with Sitka because there’s so much info out there about them.

But as I said before I’m a huge fan of the approach FX and the badlands route would save me some cash. I already have a badlands backpack and Bino case.

Any input would be appreciated. Even the flannel and carhartt guys. I know those boys have more meat in the freezer than any of us.

i have the badlands venture jacket i really like it for the mid season. has a huge front pocket that i can keep my binos in and my phone, has huge pit zips for when moving

i can get down to low 30s sitting in the tree stand with a base layer and a mid fleece could probably add a vest since the sleeve are slimmer for archery

Titan

WKR
I have loved every piece of badlands gear I own. Great prices and the warranty/customer service is one of the best out there.

I don't think you can go wrong.

OP
W
I have loved every piece of badlands gear I own. Great prices and the warranty/customer service is one of the best out there.

I don't think you can go wrong.
Any pieces that your are particularly fond of?

Titan

WKR
I have all the merino base layers and have beat the crap outta them. The heavy socks have been great as well - on par with darn tough.

I have a lightweight jacket for everyday use that has been great. Can't remember the name on that one. Have some pants on their way.

With their sales they have, I haven't found a better price on this stuff. Especially merino gear.

I have the ovis merino sweater and I love it, i’m typically a large or xl, somehow fit into the medium. I think getting your typical size would be fine.

Titan

WKR
I'm not a big guy - the medium is a little loose on me. I shrunk it down some in the dryer and it fits perfect.

sndmn11

WKR
I have all the merino base layers and have beat the crap outta them. The heavy socks have been great as well - on par with darn tough.

I have a lightweight jacket for everyday use that has been great. Can't remember the name on that one. Have some pants on their way.

With their sales they have, I haven't found a better price on this stuff. Especially merino gear.
@Titan do your merino layers have the % merino on the tag? The website for the mutton says merino/poly, and for the ovis says merino blended with high tech fibers...when I called Badlands they said they did not know but thought 50% would be a good guess,

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my badlands gear. I shy away from their wool, for the same reason mentioned above, I am not sure what percentage wool it is. I have the ion pants, flex hoodie, uintas vest, bino case (which is great but really loud to close if you are not careful). I like their shirts because I have long arms, and most brands only come to above my wrists. Badlands is actually long enough. With a black ovis merino base, the flex hoodie, and the uintas vest, I have been out in the low twenties and teens moving comfortably. When I stop to glass, I throw on a puffy jacket.

Titan

WKR
I never even thought to check that when I bought everything. They don’t say anything about the %. Just print on the neck that says the size and a little story about merino sheep.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
Their camo leaves a lot to be desired in the southeast and some of their stuff like the algus line is pretty bad but they have a ton of slam dunks. Venture jacket is absolutely killer.

I dont think there is a better pant than the ascend line for colder days.

On the warranty, i talked with a rep on what backpack I should buy in their line because mine was stolen, he said oh yeah ill just warranty it, whatd you lose and what camo?

Really made my week.

OP
W
Their camo leaves a lot to be desired in the southeast and some of their stuff like the algus line is pretty bad but they have a ton of slam dunks. Venture jacket is absolutely killer.

I dont think there is a better pant than the ascend line for colder days.

On the warranty, i talked with a rep on what backpack I should buy in their line because mine was stolen, he said oh yeah ill just warranty it, whatd you lose and what camo?

Really made my week.
I think I’ve settled on the venture jacket for sure. I have plenty of Sitka to layer underneath. Besides the ascend pant, is there a pant you would recommend for spot and stalk? I’m leaning towards the resist.

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’ve settled on the venture jacket for sure. I have plenty of Sitka to layer underneath. Besides the ascend pant, is there a pant you would recommend for spot and stalk? I’m leaning towards the resist.
If youre in the cold, ascend pant man. The fleece is retarded quiet and pretty damn durable.

For the jacket, wait until end of season. They can be had around $100

OP
W
I really like my badlands gear. I shy away from their wool, for the same reason mentioned above, I am not sure what percentage wool it is. I have the ion pants, flex hoodie, uintas vest, bino case (which is great but really loud to close if you are not careful). I like their shirts because I have long arms, and most brands only come to above my wrists. Badlands is actually long enough. With a black ovis merino base, the flex hoodie, and the uintas vest, I have been out in the low twenties and teens moving comfortably. When I stop to glass, I throw on a puffy jacket.
How do you like the ion pants? Are they quiet?

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the ion pants? Are they quiet?
They are not as quiet as I wish they were. They are tough and hold up really well, but they are not as quiet as my sitka traverse pants. If I am going to hunt rougher growth areas I take the ions, because they handle it better and I just have to be a little more careful how I move because they make noise when they hit stiff sage, hawthorne and the like. I take the traverse pants when I am going to be moving through easier growth because they are quieter.