Badlands Ox

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
What are your opinions on the Badlands Ox? Aron shared a fair amount of information on Bowsite about the frame, but I didn't see his final thoughts on it. My favorite pack for heavy weights is the the Badlands 4500, but it's bag felt like it maxed out at 100 lbs. I'm hoping, when I'm down in Idaho next week, that I will get to try one on to see how it fits. I'll give a little background on the packs I've tried out:

Badlands 4500 - Most comfortable for heavy loads.
Badlands Sacrifice - Most comfortable for lighter loads.
Mystery Ranch NICE 6500/Load Sling - Found it difficult to keep pack from digging into my lower back and keeping the weight off the top of my shoulders.
Eberlestock J107M - Best Pack Overall. Comfortable, breathable, and versatile with heavy loads. The load lifters begin to lack the proper angle for loads over 75 lbs.

Love to hear some thoughts

Thank You,

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The OX is a big heavy piece of metal that never made it. I believe that Badlands is not going to make any more from what I have heard. It is about 12 pounds empty. The 4500 was the best pack in its day, but one of the worst with choices of today. I broke waist buckles, shoulder straps and two sets of stays on those packs, but at the time it was one of the first dedicated hunting packs out there. The Sacrifice is comfortable, but it is a copy cat of the Osprey Atmos 50, which peaks out at about 40 pounds. I have used all the packs you mentioned, none of them carried loads over 80 pounds well in my opinion.

I am sold on Kifaru Duplex frame and suspension. By far the most comfortable at 30 pounds as at 110 pounds than any other pack I have tried. And I am like Aron, I was a pack whore until I started using Kifaru.

I know many will like the other packs you mentioned, which is great, that is why there is not just one pack company out there.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the Osprey packs earlier today. They look like a comfortable pack that weigh only a couple pounds. I agree that the Ox is very heavy when using the frame and bag. The frame and harness weigh a little over 4 lbs, which is seems like a fair weight. I'm not a huge fan of my Dragonfly's weight either. I haven't tried out a Kifaru pack yet, but plan on it in the future. I haven't decided between the UL 5200 and the Timberline 5200. They both seem like great packs, but don't know if I could justify cutting a couple pounds for less durability and pockets.

Thank You for the input RosinBag,

My hunting partner used the Ox frame and a small day pack all last year on successful deer, elk, and antelope hunts and loved it. It would not fit my short torso but he really likes it. I think it came in around 7 lbs empty with his small day pack added. Not too bad...

Mike

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
OUtdoorsman, if you went with a Timberline, you would still have plenty of pockets with that one and plenty of durability. I don't know much about the UL version of packs as I always thought durability would be an issue. Many on here have them and hopefully they will chime in with there thoughts on the matter.

CC

FNG
I had the ox for about 30 minutes then shipped it back...couldn't get it in the box fast enough. I didn't even want to carry the box that it was shipped in it was that heavy :) I have a short torso and there was no adjustment, it squeaked, and those plastic handles you take the bag of the frame were all ready stripped after taking it off and reassembling. I had the 4500 but with back problems I want to limit my weight to 50 -60 lbs. 5 lb extra pounds in pack weight at 100 (which I can't carry) is not much but at 50 that’s 10% and more bulk too. I noticed that on my last hike using a 4500 and 2800 with the same gear in it. There are people out there that love the OX that's why I tried it out, but definitely not me. I'm looking for the right set up as well, light and strong. I think I'm going to try a Kifaru; I'm just struggling whether it's going to be a T2 or a DT2. Best of luck in your pack search.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
CC, those are both solid packs to choose from. If you pack heavier weight more frequently I think the DT2 would be your choice. The T2 can surely handle the weight, but the Duplex frame is the most comfortable out there under loads that I have ever packed.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry,
I was just giving my comparison between the UL Series and the Timberline Series. I just haven't decided between which series would best fit my needs. I'm sure the Timberline is very durable and the pockets are setup extremely well for my needs. I don't need a lot of pockets to be happy.

OUtdoorsman, if you went with a Timberline, you would still have plenty of pockets with that one and plenty of durability. I don't know much about the UL version of packs as I always thought durability would be an issue. Many on here have them and hopefully they will chime in with there thoughts on the matter.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Thats interesting Mike. I wouldn't think of too many people using it as a day pack. 7 lbs sounds about right for the Ox frame setup with a lightweight day pack. At 7 lbs it is a comparable weight with many other large capacity hunting packs; however, the Kifaru appears to be the real deal. They look like they offer decent breathability, exceptional comfort, optimal load lifters, and various designs to suit every hunter from minimalists to those who have the desire to carry everything extra.

My hunting partner used the Ox frame and a small day pack all last year on successful deer, elk, and antelope hunts and loved it. It would not fit my short torso but he really likes it. I think it came in around 7 lbs empty with his small day pack added. Not too bad...

Mike

cmeier117

WKR
I will say with the T2 you can get some barreling with fully stuffed loads but a knee between the pads straighten that out fine. I have had 120 lbs in it and it was awesome. 40lbs and it's like the pack isn't even there. I would go with the DT2 personally if I were to do it again. Have the option of 4 bags and a load hauler is a nice touch.

Rizzy

WKR
I used a badlands 2200 for about the last 8 years and it was a good pack for day hunts and short trips. If your on a budget, I think the 4500 would be pretty good. Camofire has them sometimes. I would recommend doing what it takes to get a Kifaru if you are in a position to do so. It's probably the best investment in equipment you can make. None of those other packs you mentioned really even compare.

When it comes to weight there is only 2 types of hunting packs, the KU series and everything else. Nothing else comes close to the weight savings you get with a KU series. This will reduce your overall pack weight the most.

I just got my KU3700 last week and I no longer have any concern about the durability, its not like the shelters or pull outs. The double layer is thicker than you would think and the bottom is cordura. I have been on one hike with it and 40 pounds has never felt so light. I busted brush (idaho brush, not coastal thickets) with no problems, it seems to slither right through. I am looking forward to an overnight hike Saturday and Sunday with more weight (my wife is going) to see how it feels.

BTW, you can put quite a few pockets and compartments on the KU if you want.