Badland's vs Kuiu for best elk huntin pack

Mostly will hunt 10+ miles from TH is the plan.

What's your thoughts. I want it to use as a daypack, carry 125 pounds too (if successful), light and strong. modular too.

Seems like you've got a solid head on your shoulders, so I would suggest the Everest Sherpa/Porter pack system to meet your specifications.

Plenty of strap to attach whatever modules you want!

19-head-723x334.jpg

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have tested quite a few packs over the years, but we have not found a pack that can compete with any of the Stone Glacier packs. They are lightweight, durable, and carry weight more comfortably than any other pack we have tested. The Sky Archer 6200 is one of our favorite packs for all around back-country hunting. There is enough bag space for multi-day expeditions, but you can still use it as a day pack if you suck down the bag with the compression straps.

Why limit yourself to 125lbs? It’s easier on your body to haul one heavy load instead of a multiple light loads. Turn that flat bill backwards and get to haulin bro.

Elk reaper is Aron Snyder’s street name. He now works for Jansport International over in Boulder CO. They also sell killer granola and special “herbs”.

I personally run Jansport as it’s the only pack I can hike 14r’s with 200+ pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2rocky

WKR
Yeah I know this is a troll post...but I'd like to address the folks who are gear snobs and looking down on other brand names...

Yep once the president of a pack/tent company was a regular everyday blue collar hunter like us...I think he had a new pack every week, and he learned something from each and every one of them I'm sure.

Back in the First 10 years of the 21 st Century, Badlands was one of the few "hunting centric" packs MARKETED as such.

Question: You gonna tell a guy who wants to get a pack and hunt and has $500 to spend it all on a pack or buy a "lower tier" pack and have money left for an out of state tag? Wanna see my first back pack?

EMS (womens model I found out later). The buck didn't mind.

wtbp1996.JPGwtbp19962.JPGwtbp19963.JPG

Last edited:
OP
L

Lil dude

FNG
Wow Ive been on shift for a few days. Looks like lots of responses to go through.

I did check out that elk reaper and yes he's totally a company rep. Looks like he nows works for that Kafaru company. I always see folks on this forum talk about them but personally never have seen one or heard of anyone I know purchasing one. Mysterious almost like the Corona Virus?? I found another photo of him as I almost thought the original was like a photoshopped chippendale dancer with that pack. I mean who wears a pack to the gym and that weird pink bedroom with those dolls hanging looks creepy, WTF.

Anyhow I checked out the Kafaru website for other options. Visually (not that it matters) they look funny almost like an old army duffel on a HD frame. Then Id see lots of photos that looked like someone would strap another Kafaru pack on top of each other......and then hook up all those satchels on all that crazy molle webbing. Anyhow probably not my cup of tea don't really know if they'd work for long treks in or super heavy loads like a bone in elk quarter.

Anyhow gotta figure out this soon. Heading to Montana for a hunt. Almost went to Colorado as they have lots of elk but doesn't look like much of a challenge. I mean they seem to be everywhere and the state doesn't really even have a full line of predators like griz or wolves. Sounds like to many jokers running around the woods too. We want the real deal so western Montana it is.

The elfffing Whipsnake?....does that KAfaru make that thing? Crazy don't know if would hold up to an elk quarter though.

WyoKid

WKR
I haven’t tried out any Badlands packs...but I’ve read plenty about issues that made them a no-go.
After trying numerous pack systems, I now run 2 Kuiu Packs 4000/5500. There’s plenty of haters on here of their system, but I just fits my build really well. Having said all that, I will not and do not load mine up with that much weight. I won’t go above 80-90#. If you’re committed to hauling 115#, I would definitely look elsewhere. I just decided that I would forego the ability to carry that much weight about 5% of the time I have my pack on to be really comfy/confident in carrying what I need 95% of the time. Open up your options and try as many as you can

I run Kuiu and don't have any problems. On the other hand, I weigh 145 so humping 100 lbs is not something I do unless absolutely necessary - took an elk out on two trips but it was down hill and only a mile to the road. Otherwise, I keep it at 4 trips to save my back and knees.

Hoghead

WKR
I run a inatial acent with carbonfiber frame. I use it as a day pack or backpacking in.
I have hauled over 100 pounds in it and it was very comfortable. I have hauled 3 mule deer and a lot of hogs. It is very comfortable and quiet. I have had a badlands ox frame I used just for hauling hogs it was comfortable but heavier to start with and squeaked. I also ran a outdoors man pack it was good but squeaky and just a little heavier than the inatal acent. I have used some cheaper brands too but don't waste your time spend the money once and be comfortable. Learn how to adjust your pack to you and do it with weight in it that will help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BCsteve

WKR
Is he a Badland guy now?? I thought he was a Kuiu guy!

4-B4-D207-A-3-A88-43-F5-A39-A-40-A662-CFCD5-C.jpg