Baffin Impact cold weather boots

sivart

WKR
I know that these aren't backpacking boots. I'm looking for warm boots for stand hunting. Mainly in the teens to subzero. Anyone have recommendations.

I have been looking at these as well sure hoping someone can give us some insight into the boots.
Subscribed

KurtR

WKR
Baffins are the go to for ice fishing. If you have to walk at all feet will get sweaty. Walking hole to hole checking bait at 10 below my feet sweat in them. For using in a stand I would carry them in and put on. They are warm as hell and heavy.

Rokwiia

WKR
A few thoughts. First, maybe consider the Baffin Selkirk which is similar in concept to the the Impact but I believe it is lighter (~9oz per boot) and rated to -94F.

Another option is to wrap each foot in a grocery-store plastic bag before you hike to the stand and bring a second pair of socks. When you arrive at the stand you can change socks and you'll be in dry socks the entire time while in the stand. Because the Impact or Selkirk have buckles, it's a breeze to get into and out of them to change.

https://www.baffin.com/collections/winter/products/epicm002

Kotaman

WKR
They’re a big clumsy boot but pretty warm. My three favorites for cold weather sits are:

*Military Bunny Boots
*Baffin Impacts
*Sorel Glacier XT’s

The Bunny Boots are probably the least bulky more versatile boot of this group.

Rokwiia

WKR
The Bunny Boots employ the same "vapor barrier" concept as the grocery-store plastic around the feet. Their vapor barrier is achieved by encapsulating the insulation in plastic/rubber. You walk in them and your feet get wet but the insulation stays dry. Remove your socks, wipe off the moisture inside the Bunny Boots, put on dry socks and you're good to go.

Mosby

WKR
How are the Baffin boots for wide feet? Do you have to go up a size?

KurtR

WKR
If for any reason the bunny boots make contact with your leg hair while walking it will pull each hair out painfully. Learned that on a little march while in guards but they are warm

Bighorner

WKR
I have had great luck with the artic muck boats or an equivalent style boot. They suck to walk very far in, but as long as your feet don't sweat they are warm. I've also had really good luck with whites insulated packs.

Rokwiia

WKR
I will be receiving the Baffin Snow Monster (SM) boots today. Already have the Selkirks which tighten using a higher and lower buckle. The SM are a classic lace-up style boot with the same -94F temperature rating. The are supposed to be only ~2.2 per boot but I will weigh them.

I'll report back when I received them and give you my thoughts about these boots compared to the Bafffin Selkirks.

Rokwiia

WKR
Well, the Baffin Snow Monster arrived today. Wow, is all I can say. More comfortable than any other outdoor boot I've ever worn. I will give a more comprehensive report after having worn them out a few times.

A few thoughts. The Snow Monster connected to my leg much more than the Selkirk. In bitterly cold or snow squall situations, I'm thinking the two buckle/straps of the Selkirk might be an advantage. That said, the SM hugs my leg without gaps and feels far more comfortable. I can lace it up so that all of the boot hugs my leg not just the points where the straps are with the Selkirk.

I will keep an open mind and put both through the paces but I'm suspecting at this point, and much to my surprise, there are few reasons not to choose the SM over the Selkirk. I'll report back.