Bag for Cold Sleepers

R_burg

WKR
If I'm a cold sleeper, should I be looking at bags rated for the negatives for nights between 0 and 10 degrees?

I was playing with the idea of getting a WM Puma. I don't want to be hot and sweat all night, but as I said I sleep cold. My 17 degree bag really only gets me to around 30... I think 30 is its comfort rating, but still.

mlob1one

WKR
If I'm a cold sleeper, should I be looking at bags rated for the negatives for nights between 0 and 10 degrees?

I was playing with the idea of getting a WM Puma. I don't want to be hot and sweat all night, but as I said I sleep cold. My 17 degree bag really only gets me to around 30... I think 30 is its comfort rating, but still.
What is your sleeping pad solution?
Airflow where you bed?

Two very large variables that can dramatically impact your comfort in the cold.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
What is your sleeping pad solution?
Airflow where you bed?

Two very large variables that can dramatically impact your comfort in the cold.

Neo air xlite, which is r 3.3. I am thinking of trying an Xtherm, but haven't yet.

Air flow.... Not sure exactly what you mean. I hunt the lower 48. Live in AZ. Have trips to CO and WY planned.

I currently have a 3 season tent that flows air VERY well.

Looking to pick up a tarp and a Cimarron (or a competitor) and try to convert to that type of system though.

Dameon

WKR
Definitely upgrade to an insulated pad. You easily loose 10 degrees or more of your bag rating through the ground without an insulated pad. I use an insulated Klymit Static V and double that up with the Thermarest Z-pad when it's stupid cold. I also sleep cold and sleep with my baselayers and a fleece beanie in my mummy bag to stay comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Add a woobie to your setup to put over your bag. I did that last winter and it worked surprisingly well.

A good pad, and a bag that has a comfort rating in your expected temps will go a long ways. Usually there is no need to really de rate your bag if it actually meets its temp rating. Most of the problems I have seen are from bags that do not meet their temp ratings.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

So I am already planning on getting the Xtherm. I guess my question is, are there any big downsides to the - 25 bag vs a 0 or - 5 degree bag?

The 8-12 oz and little extra space doesn't bother me to guarantee me a good night sleep. But i dont want to roast. Ive never had a bag that was rated below where I would most likely use it, so im hesitant to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

just get a bag with a full length zipper and its easy to regulate your temp.Wit W M you wont need a bag rated way colder than expected temps.Just get a good pad

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
just get a bag with a full length zipper and its easy to regulate your temp.Wit W M you wont need a bag rated way colder than expected temps.Just get a good pad
Thanks
I'm curious what 17 degree bag are you currently using?
REI Igneo. Its actually a 19, my bad. The new version is 17.

Ive had other bag's in my life, and I'm just a colder sleeper than it seems like most guys are. Im tall and skinny. When I read reviews it seems like other guys can comfortably push bags to their lower limit ratings, but I cant.

Jimbo V

WKR
I'm a cold sleeper as well, I went with a Feathered Friends snow bunting 0 degree bag and an XTherm pad, I have only had it one season, it's been down to 9 degrees and I was toasty warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Imho, you should upgrade your pad to one with a much higher R value. I'd suggest a 6 or higher especially if you're a cold sleeper.

The reason for asking about airflow is that wind or a lot of airflow can drop a sleeping bag's ability to retain heat.
I'd second the idea of adding a woobie. A great piece of gear that's betty versatile.

Putting a reflective blanket or space blanket between your pad and your sleeping bag will reflect a large amount of your body heat back into the bag which should help as well.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

So I am already planning on getting the Xtherm. I guess my question is, are there any big downsides to the - 25 bag vs a 0 or - 5 degree bag?

The 8-12 oz and little extra space doesn't bother me to guarantee me a good night sleep. But i dont want to roast. Ive never had a bag that was rated below where I would most likely use it, so im hesitant to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

I tend to sweat when I am in a bag that is rated a lot lower than the actual temps that I am in. Having said that, I have struggled with cold feet for years and years. Doesn't seem to matter what bag, pad, or anything else I throw in the mix.
Anymore I get a good bag that meets its temp combined with a good pad, and just deal with the cold feet.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
I tend to sweat when I am in a bag that is rated a lot lower than the actual temps that I am in. Having said that, I have struggled with cold feet for years and years. Doesn't seem to matter what bag, pad, or anything else I throw in the mix.
Anymore I get a good bag that meets its temp combined with a good pad, and just deal with the cold feet.

Cold feet kill me. I wake up very quickly. I need to find a sleep system for the cold where I stay warm, dealing with cold feet isnt going to cut it.

Get a bag that is cut generously enough to allow for you to wear a puffy jacket comfortably at night.

The Shocking Blue from Valandre is my choice for extremely cold weather.

Valandre Shocking Blue Neo Sleeping Bag (850 Goose Down) - Mountaineering Bags - Sleeping Bags - Camp & Hike :: CampSaver.com

I have read good things about Valandre.

Thats a -30 bag, and its an example of why I started the thread. One of the easier WM bags to find used is a Puma, which is rated at -25. I dont want to pick one up and sweat profusely when its 10 degrees out, but I also want to be warm when its -5, and not cold.

Obviously I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a high end bag (WM, Feathered Friends, Valandre) that will be used well above its advertised temp. Hence why I am asking these questions. Seems like most people think I should go with a zero degree bag and a better pad (getting a higher R value pad is already part of the plan).

Have you tried a pair of down or synthetic booties like the ones from enlightened equipment? I get cold feet and always carry mine with me - 2oz and pack down to nothing.

To the OP - depends on when and where you are camping. The xtherm you said you're getting is warm, which will really help. I personally for my uses would never need to go rated lower than a zero degree bag, but it all depends on what you're doing, where you are, and the time of year.

rayporter

WKR
like Backpack Hunter i have tried all those and in the end you must-----know thyself.

i could be zipped up and cold and my buddy would have his bare feet hanging out.