Bag/Quilt for below freezing questions

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
I know this question has been beaten to death in other posts but I didn't want to jack someones thread and i just wanted to touch up on a few things that I have little experience with. I've been reading on some posts that quilts aren't really meant for cold weather "in the teens or single digits". Am i better off just getting a bag from WM or SG for a spike camp setup and be done? Or would a 0 degree quilt from UGQ or EE be enough with an Xtherm pad? I'm open to other ideas or setups.

6.5x284

WKR
I don't have the answer, but I will. This season I'll be running the 0 degree quilt from UGQ on an Xtherm. I did have them sew the foot box to add a touch of warmth vs a draw cord. I think wearing what I do when hunting I will be just fine to 10 degrees. I hate the feeling of bags as I move a lot in my sleep. Short of September hunts, I'm wearing my clothes in the bag generally anyway. If I don't like it, I'll likely try the SG 0 degree next season. But people sleep very different temp wise and I don't know if you'll find a clean cut answer.

I've been using a 0° EE quilt with a Xtherm Max.

I've been down to -15° with that combo.

Drafts are the only issue for me. If I'm in a decently protected tent, not a problem.
In a floorless, it gets a little breezy.
When it gets chilly, I just zip up the footbox and utilize the straps.
I do rock a Borah bivy if I'm bivying.
That thing is the shit.

I've been using a 0° EE quilt with a Xtherm Max.

I've been down to -15° with that combo.

Drafts are the only issue for me. If I'm in a decently protected tent, not a problem.
In a floorless, it gets a little breezy.
When it gets chilly, I just zip up the footbox and utilize the straps.
I do rock a Borah bivy if I'm bivying.
That thing is the shit.

I know this is an old thread but what is the highest temp you have used this set up in without it being to uncomfortable?