Bait Piles in National Forest

JNDEER

WKR
The Sac Bee article is far more comprehensive.

Matt,

I am aware of this case. If you read the case you find the Wardens spent LOTS of time/resources/money putting this case together. LOTS of my hunting dollars used and in the end (cited from the link you provided me from the SacBee)

""In the end, the California Attorney General’s Office allowed the men to sign plea bargains that included no jail time and fines nowhere near the maximum the law allows. (The state agency prosecuted the case in Amador County Superior Court, given that Stone worked for the local district attorney.)"""

If anything, this case proves my point. They had everything, but actually witnessing them in the pursuit of big game over bait.

MattB

WKR
Matt,

I am aware of this case. If you read the case you find the Wardens spent LOTS of time/resources/money putting this case together. LOTS of my hunting dollars used and in the end (cited from the link you provided me from the SacBee)

""In the end, the California Attorney General’s Office allowed the men to sign plea bargains that included no jail time and fines nowhere near the maximum the law allows. (The state agency prosecuted the case in Amador County Superior Court, given that Stone worked for the local district attorney.)"""

If anything, this case proves my point. They had everything, but actually witnessing them in the pursuit of big game over bait.
One lost his job over it, likely worse than any fine allowed under the law.

This is the issue, it's an area I've lived in for 38 years and just started hunting late in life. The area I was going to hunt is outside the 400 yards but not by much. I have other areas for sure but I didn't want someone else to call it in and somehow get in trouble by being within the 400 somehow.

No way I'm hunting that area at all this year which is a bummer. I just wish people would play by the rules and not put others people in this type of situation.
Shoot that GW a text and let him know your concerns, bet you'll be fine. If you shoot anything be sure you mark where the blood trail starts and where you shot from in case you have to show it.