Bait problems

Gobbler36

WKR
You can have up to 3 sites but you can only use one container per site.
From IDFG:
"Containers: No bait may be contained within paper, plastic, glass, metal, wood, or other nonbiodegradable materials, except that a single metal container with a maximum size of 55 gallons may be used if securely attached at the bait site. "
Got ya, I got one barrel up currently but was possibly going to do another site. Glad that I looked at this today.
Thanks!

Sorry, I replied before I read that idelkslayer had already stated the regs. Didn't mean to give you the machine gun rule spout-off. I have a few friends that work for IDF&G, they tell me that too many containers at bait sites is probably the most common bear hunting citation issued. No fun to get a ticket for something you were unaware of.

Gobbler36

WKR
Sorry, I replied before I read that idelkslayer had already stated the regs. Didn't mean to give you the machine gun rule spout-off. I have a few friends that work for IDF&G, they tell me that too many containers at bait sites is probably the most common bear hunting citation issued. No fun to get a ticket for something you were unaware of.
its all good dude, Id rather be grilled on a forum than be cited for something that careless of myself lol

no rule on how far your bait sites are from each other though...….right?
there are rules about required distance from water, roads and campsites but not about distance between baitsites. Although, in my experience it is best to have your bait sites far enough apart that that you do not have the same bears visiting multiple sites. You want the bears to become habituated to one site and somewhat predictable in their feeding patterns. If they are moving from site to site they are more difficult to pattern.

My questions was, what about two barrels together with a bait site tag for each?
You're gonna have to call IDFG and ask about that one. There is no rule listed in the regulations booklet that specifies a minimum distance between baitsites.

Could you put all 3 sites in a close area .
We use drums of peanut butter. That would give you over 1500 pound of peanut butter in a area . Should not have a problem lasting 10 days.

Could you put all 3 sites in a close area .
We use drums of peanut butter. That would give you over 1500 pound of peanut butter in a area . Should not have a problem lasting 10 days.

Please take my following comments with the tongue in cheek humor with which it is intended.

They say that there is a story behind every rule in the regulations booklet. I have feeling that one day I'll be able to point to this post as the reason why the booklet specifies distances between bait sites.

Now the straight talk.

The rules quoted in one of my posts above state that a single container up to 55 gallons may be used. If you want you can fill your 55 gallon barrel and then dump an unlimited amount of bait on the ground next to it, but you can't have more than one container per site.

I think you're asking for trouble if you place all three site tags in one location with 3 barrels and try to claim that it is 3 sites. That said, the regulations do not have a solid definition of what constitutes a "site" or how far apart they need to be.

I think you should call IDFG and report back here on what they tell you.

Please take my following comments with the tongue in cheek humor with which it is intended.

They say that there is a story behind every rule in the regulations booklet. I have feeling that one day I'll be able to point to this post as the reason why the booklet specifies distances between bait sites.

Now the straight talk.

The rules quoted in one of my posts above state that a single container up to 55 gallons may be used. If you want you can fill your 55 gallon barrel and then dump an unlimited amount of bait on the ground next to it, but you can't have more than one container per site.

I think you're asking for trouble if you place all three site tags in one location with 3 barrels and try to claim that it is 3 sites. That said, the regulations do not have a solid definition of what constitutes a "site" or how far apart they need to be.

I think you should call IDFG and report back here on what they tell you.

We have never done it, but always joked about it since the rules don't specifically state it. One area we use it would help out a bunch to have a couple barrels. Always planned on calling and asking first, but didn't want to be the guy who got a new rule put in the book :D

So I can be the one that gets blamed for the new law. I just got off the phone with IDFG and the first person I talked to said that he has never had a question like this and sent me to "headquarters" who then put me on hold for 15 minutes while she looked and confirmed that as long as you are following all other laws regarding distance from water and all other parts of the baiting laws and as long as all three barrels have the separate site tags it is perfectly legal to put all three barrels right next to each other.

We use a 55 gallon drum with a hole that only allows a piece of dog food to get out at a time. Anything bigger and it gets cleaned out pretty quick. We’ve had lots of sows and cubs sit for hours and barely put a dent in it. Just enough to keep them interested. This works good for our time schedule since we can’t get out as often as we would like either to refill.

JLH208

WKR
So I can be the one that gets blamed for the new law. I just got off the phone with IDFG and the first person I talked to said that he has never had a question like this and sent me to "headquarters" who then put me on hold for 15 minutes while she looked and confirmed that as long as you are following all other laws regarding distance from water and all other parts of the baiting laws and as long as all three barrels have the separate site tags it is perfectly legal to put all three barrels right next to each other.

I was just wondering about this as I was making notes for next year, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk