Bait site tree stand set up

What is everyone’s tree stand set ups on their bait sites? Both of my sites are under a mile in so I plan on packing in 2 hang on style stands and the strap on style steps. I’d like to use screw in steps but reading the national forest rules it sounds like that’s a no go. My biggest question is how high does everyone like to hang their stands and at what preferred yardage from the bait? (Obviously that’s dependent on the bait sight which is why I say preferred) I was thinking about 20 feet high and 25-35 yards away but reading online it sounds like a lot of guys like a fairly low stand for shot angles. Just curious on how everyone else has their sites set up, thanks!

Last edited:
The closest stand I have killed a bear from was 9 yard. too close for the angle, really had to pick your spot well. I prefer 20 yards so my pin is right on. I also agree lower is better for angle. Bears on bait don't seem to care too much about movement etc. I have actually killed more out of ground blinds than tree stands. (main problem with that is they get shredded by curious bears if you leave them) So go with what's comfortable for you and don't worry about too high. Now jumpy whitetails I have been busted even at 30' up a tree!

Another thing I prefer is to have some terrain between the bait and my stand, even a little ravine, a creek would be ideal. A patch of thick stuff, deadfall etc. Also ideally never walk from your bait to your stand. I always try to back track then loop around the long way to the stand site.

I'm assuming you're talking archery? I like 15-18 feet up in the Mountain West and the bait about 20 yds or closer. I've baited in other places where you can get away with lower, and the baits closer, but in the mountains, I like it about 18 yds to be exact but that's more of me not being the greatest shot. There are some tricks we've used in the past to get some of the better bears to commit. I will say my experience, Mountain West bears do not tolerate the stuff I've seen in AK and CA so set up accordingly. You'll know when they're on to you when you see them on camera yet never when sitting.

OP
Timberline001
The closest stand I have killed a bear from was 9 yard. too close for the angle, really had to pick your spot well. I prefer 20 yards so my pin is right on. I also agree lower is better for angle. Bears on bait don't seem to care too much about movement etc. I have actually killed more out of ground blinds than tree stands. (main problem with that is they get shredded by curious bears if you leave them) So go with what's comfortable for you and don't worry about too high. Now jumpy whitetails I have been busted even at 30' up a tree!

Another thing I prefer is to have some terrain between the bait and my stand, even a little ravine, a creek would be ideal. A patch of thick stuff, deadfall etc. Also ideally never walk from your bait to your stand. I always try to back track then loop around the long way to the stand site.
Yeah I learned the hard way about ground blinds last year. Those bears a terrorists lol. I’ll try to find a spot with some terrain between me and the bait. I’m sure that really helps make big bears feel comfortable coming in. I shot a single pin so I have a little forgiveness as far as having a tree where my pin is dead on. Glad to hear that lower is better for angle as well. It’ll save me money on climbing sticks.

OP
Timberline001
Yessir
I'm assuming you're talking archery? I like 15-18 feet up in the Mountain West and the bait about 20 yds or closer. I've baited in other places where you can get away with lower, and the baits closer, but in the mountains, I like it about 18 yds to be exact but that's more of me not being the greatest shot. There are some tricks we've used in the past to get some of the better bears to commit. I will say my experience, Mountain West bears do not tolerate the stuff I've seen in AK and CA so set up accordingly. You'll know when they're on to you when you see them on camera yet never when sitting.
Yessir, archery in SE Idaho. There’s definitely a lot of pressure on our bears so I’m sure you’re right about them not tolerating as much as more rural areas like AK.

Yes, Black Bears in AK are pretty brazen, but the reason for that is they fear Brown bears more than you! now if you try to bait Brownies you will quickly learn they are spookier than any black bear I have tried anywhere!C271266D-DE23-479B-BC78-13B740CEA383.jpeg

Even black bears in SE Alaska where there are no brown bears act totally different than bears in ID/Mountain West. You learn quick what works, and what doesn't. I have heard Grizzly/Brown bears in AK are on pins and needles and it's a one and done thing. Setups for them are probably more applicable scenario because black bears up there sure isn't. In saying that, if we're talking heavily baited áreas I'm sure it's similar.

OP
Timberline001
Yes, Black Bears in AK are pretty brazen, but the reason for that is they fear Brown bears more than you! now if you try to bait Brownies you will quickly learn they are spookier than any black bear I have tried anywhere!View attachment 278156
You guys that bait browns in AK are ballsy lol. I stay well away from our grizzly infested areas around here, I can’t imagine walking into a bait site and sitting above them at 20 yards.

OP
Timberline001
Thanks for all the help guys. Ended up setting this bait up hill from my tree stand on a ridge at 17 yards. He came in from uphill straight on front of me and the circled to my far right where he winded me at 31 yards. I was worried about that happening though and had doused the area with bacon and vanilla scent before I got in the stand so he hesitated long enough trying to sort out the smell that I was able to get my bow drawn and make the shot as he turned to leave. He went 80 yards to the bottom and was done in seconds. Squared the hide at exactly 7 feet and the skull is over 19. Extremely happy with him.

Attachments

• CFD1807E-DCB8-47FA-A00E-5AD52AC054AC.jpeg
    CFD1807E-DCB8-47FA-A00E-5AD52AC054AC.jpeg
    812.5 KB · Views: 22