Balaclava

Voyageur

WKR
I'm looking for a simple balaclava that fits loose enough so it doesn't mess with the bows on my glasses. The Sitka one I'm currently using fits so tight around my temples it affects how my glasses sit.
I'm considering the First Lite Wind River. Any feedback on this?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

I hate balaclavas because of how tight they are around the eyes(I don't wear glasses)
There is a a series by Ergodyne that is designed for use with goggles, etc. Very comfortable, the "eyeport" is much more generous and doesn't have aggressive elastic around it.
Klim side by side for comparison 1605303908672285742971251262039.jpg16053039488836008698935042240929.jpg20201113_134842.jpg

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
I have had a Remington one for about 15 years and love it. Tried to see if they were still available but can't find it. But I did find these two that are close to what I have.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I have the FL wind river and wear glasses. It works great and doesn't mess with my glasses at all.

The FL wind river is fine, it uses a thinner piece over the mouth that should help with air flow. It gets a little loose after a couple of years, but Nbd.
For colder weather, the FL Tundra is amazing. It has a sherpa lining, very warm & cozy and might be my favorite item from First lite. It also uses a thinner mouth section, but not sure its thin enough to prevent fogging.

I‘ve also been using their phantom leafy mask this year for warmer weather, that thing rules. I’ve had deer come within 8 feet of me, looking me dead in the face and not have any idea what I was. It absolutely confuses game.
Guaranteed you won’t have any issues with it fogging your glasses.

I have a giant fat head. So, some balaclavas are tight on me. I actually prefer a beanie or Peruvian style hat (my current favorite Akron hat) and a neck gaiter I can pull over my lower face.

apart from that set up, I am a fan of the fl wind river balaclava but it is on the verge of being too small for me.

*zap*

WKR
Not super warm but warm, one of my favorites:

Military nomex and has a little thinner material which vents somewhat at the top.

IMG_5473.JPG

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Not super warm but warm, one of my favorites:

Military nomex and has a little thinner material which vents somewhat at the top.
THIS is what I had in mind. Years ago I had one of these and really liked the thin material and loose fit. Not sure where it disappeared to.
I would assume I can pick one up military surplus?

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I have a giant fat head. So, some balaclavas are tight on me. I actually prefer a beanie or Peruvian style hat (my current favorite Akron hat) and a neck gaiter I can pull over my lower face.

apart from that set up, I am a fan of the fl wind river balaclava but it is on the verge of being too small for me.
I like this idea.

*zap*

WKR
THIS is what I had in mind. Years ago I had one of these and really liked the thin material and loose fit. Not sure where it disappeared to.
I would assume I can pick one up military surplus?

I have 3 of them, they are very good. Great for using in a bag @ night.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Just a quick follow up on this thread...
I purchased a First Lite Wind River balaclava and neck gaitor. I also purchased the military nomex balaclava. All of them work very well with glasses. My favorite of the three is the two FL items, mainly because of the merino wool fabric. It's going to take some field testing to decide if I prefer using the Wind River balaclava or the neck gaitor doubling as a balaclava (as suggested by @Desk Jockey ). In fact the FL neck gaitor is stretchy enough it can be pulled up over the top of my head and still be very comfortable.
Bottom line is all three of these can easily be worn without disturbing the fit of my glasses.
Thanks again to all who offered their ideas.