Ballistics data received???

tntrker

WKR
I’ve been in the process of purchasing a custom rifle. Among the options was “1000 yard ballistic data” for $500 extra, which I purchased along with 200 rounds of custom ammo at $850 which got cut in half ($425) due to “not enough time”. After receiving the rifle and ammo, there was no rifle specs or ammo specs. I had to call to ask the twist rate and requested rifle specs, which I still have not gotten, But I was sent a snapshot of “my rifles ballistics data” that I paid for sent to me. Does this seem like 1000 yrd ballistics data to anyone else? How am I supposed to build off of that info?! The rifle groups great but should I be feeling ripped off with the lack of “important information” I’m missing and cannot seem to get?

929CC4FC-7628-4386-B954-8807812E8A35.jpeg

Last edited:

kpk

WKR
I'd certainly feel ripped off if you paid 500 bucks for that info and 100 rounds.

BluMtn

WKR
You paid $500.00 for the above information and only received half of your ammo. Who is this great company that sold you this bill of goods.

I’ve been in the process of purchasing a custom rifle. Among the options was “1000 yard ballistic data” for $500 extra, which I purchased along with 200 rounds of custom ammo at $850 which got cut in half ($425) due to “not enough time”. After receiving the rifle and ammo, there was no rifle specs or ammo specs. I had to call to ask the twist rate and requested rifle specs, which I still have not gotten, But I was sent a snapshot of “my rifles ballistics data” that I paid for sent to me. Does this seem like 1000 yrd ballistics data to anyone else? How am I supposed to build off of that info?! The rifle groups great but should I be feeling ripped off with the lack of “important information” I’m missing and cannot seem to get?

View attachment 330210
Bro that’s like 30 minutes of measurement work and easy specs probably from the factory the barrel came from, assuming they buy good barrels and don’t try to create one from a blank. I’d be pissed.

Nowhere is there data on bullet drop to be able to dial, which is in my opinion the only reason you’d ever pay for data if you didn’t have the time. I’d be furious for what you paid.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I was told I was just refunded the $500. Let's hope this ends it and I can have no reason not to like my new rig.

I'm skeptical someone would actually shoot 100+ rounds to fully break in your barrel and true bullet BC with your barrel in various conditions at 900+ yards to confirm it wasn't impacted by mirage, up/down drafts, etc. If they did, $500 is cheap for the effort put it.

In reality, the data you got could be easily obtained by someone chronoing your load and then just entering your rifle specifics. I've let people borrow my labradar or magnetospeed at the range a bunch of times.

Long story short, paying for "ballistic data" is proof that you don't know enough to ethically use paid for ballistic data. If you don't understand what was actually provided, what it means, how it could have been obtained, etc then you probably wont know how to use that data properly. That said, if you use the correct data, input it properly into a rangefinder with ballistic app, it will probably be good out to reasonably ethical shooting distance. There are plenty of pitfalls along the way though and without knowledge you wont be able to identify and correct them.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
I'm skeptical someone would actually shoot 100+ rounds to fully break in your barrel and true bullet BC with your barrel in various conditions at 900+ yards to confirm it wasn't impacted by mirage, up/down drafts, etc. If they did, $500 is cheap for the effort put it.

In reality, the data you got could be easily obtained by someone chronoing your load and then just entering your rifle specifics. I've let people borrow my labradar or magnetospeed at the range a bunch of times.

Long story short, paying for "ballistic data" is proof that you don't know enough to ethically use paid for ballistic data. If you don't understand what was actually provided, what it means, how it could have been obtained, etc then you probably wont know how to use that data properly. That said, if you use the correct data, input it properly into a rangefinder with ballistic app, it will probably be good out to reasonably ethical shooting distance. There are plenty of pitfalls along the way though and without knowledge you wont be able to identify and correct them.
Wind gypsy, the data I was "expecting" was the load build and "basic" dope information on my rifle and scope out to 1,000yrds. Putting that data to use "ethically" means range time and verification in my book. Calling someone unethical, which is what you did, for requesting this information when offered, when you know absolutely nothing about me or my shooting habits or ethics, is pretty shallow imo. I chrono graphed the load and done my own ballistics check on the ammo sent. Having said that, I was pointing out that I received nothing, even less information, than the bullet's mfg website about that particular bullets characteristics and no actual reloading information. As a matter of fact, you almost sound like you could be attached to this problem personally and are blaming me for not purchasing the "pushed" sig 2400 ABS by them MANY times. I got the $500 refunded, still pending, so judge all you want. I'm very PLEASED with the rifle, just not the amount of pressure it took to finally get some ballistics info 2 weeks after I've had my rifle and ammo and was sent that "generic" BS...

Last edited:
Wind gypsy, the data I was "expecting" was the load build and "basic" dope information on my rifle and scope out to 1,000yrds. Putting that data to use "ethically" means range time and verification in my book. Calling someone unethical, which is what you did, for requesting this information when offered, when you know absolutely nothing about me or my shooting habits or ethics, is pretty shallow imo. I chrono graphed the load and done my own ballistics check on the ammo sent. Having said that, I was pointing out that I received nothing, even less information, than the bullet's mfg website about that particular bullets characteristics and no actual reloading information. I got the $500 refunded, still pending, so judge all you want.

Calling you unethical was not my intent but after re-reading I agree that it reads that way. I apologize. There are a lot of services that sell "ballistic data" to people who don't know how to use that ballistic data or when it is valid. The fact that this thread was started suggests you fit that bill. Ethics would have to mean the people purchasing the data know it's limitations, which they typically dont if they paid for it. My judgement is more on the companies selling these shortcuts to people knowing damn well there are limitations that the purchasers dont grasp.

That said, I don't believe dope info is particularly helpful because the conditions it was gathered likely differ from yours and it would require the same scope is being used, etc. @ $4.25/ea for ammo they should give you load specs without having to pay extra for it. MV is all you need to formulate the exact data they provided on your own.

Last edited: