Ballistics Help

4ester

WKR
Garbage in = garbage out

If everything is input correctly you should be on the plate.

Go back and verify all inputs…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Check that the BC you are using is matched to your input in the calculator. G1 or G7. That will screw it up.

406Smith is correct that BC is not it at such short yardage. That is me not reading the whole post. If it was, you true your calculation by either lowering the velocity or lowering the BC. Either has the same effect in the calculation.

Jeremy

LaHunter

WKR
Never thought of the BC. My 7 mag is twisted slower at 1:9.5. I do have this factored in Strelok Pro but not sure if it corrects BC. The berger calculator said I was stable with the 162 ELDX at 3K elevation.

Would I just adjust BC until it matches up with the range results?

I feel good about the velocity. Box says 2940 and my Magnetto speed was getting about 3010 average with a 26 inch barrel.

Can you clarify the new elevation settings?

I’m going to do a box test with scope here soon. From what I’ve seen the LHT should track well. I did set parallax each time. We did have a good amount of mirage but if I’m thinking correctly that would make me shoot higher I believe.

I really appreciate your help!
You mentioned mirage. When there is excessive mirage, my impacts tend to be low, which goes against what I read on the inter web. Broz , who now owns the LRO website, has stated he typically sees low impacts in heavy mirage. Try shooting in better conditions if possible. Also, are these low groups with the magneto attached to your barrel?

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Check that the BC you are using is matched to your input in the calculator. G1 or G7. That will screw it up.

406Smith is correct that BC is not it at such short yardage. That is me not reading the whole post. If it was, you true your calculation by either lowering the velocity or lowering the BC. Either has the same effect in the calculation.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy that’s good to know.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
It was a good amount of mirage. Definitely more than normal and
You mentioned mirage. When there is excessive mirage, my impacts tend to be low, which goes against what I read on the inter web. Broz , who now owns the LRO website, has stated he typically sees low impacts in heavy mirage. Try shooting in better conditions if possible. Also, are these low groups with the magneto attached to your barrel?
It was a good amount of mirage for sure. Spotting scope was really not liking it. I zeroed with Magnetto speed off and shot with it off.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback and tips. I’m going to shoot in a week or two and do the following:

1. Input data again
2. Make sure Sig rangefinder is reading correctly
3. Zero rifle again
4. Check velocity again with Magnetto speed
5. Scope tracking test

Will report back! Thanks again.

Last edited:

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
It was a good amount of mirage. Definitely more than normal and

It was a good amount of mirage for sure. Spotting scope was really not liking it. I zeroed with Magnetto speed off and shot with it off.
This is THE reason I shoot a LabRadar inst3ad of my MSv3 these days. Just set it up and send it, in any configuration I want, without fiddling with straps, spacers or impacts to barrel harmonics.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I wanted to share the results after shooting again as I think it is figured out. Everyone here helped so much.

One new thing I just learned In Strelok Pro there is a setting for the wind deflection to be accounted for by 10% as the default. A left to right wind makes the bullet drop according to what I’m seeing. We had a 10pm wind of about 5-10 MPH basically coming at us. Gust could have been 10mph at least. I’m extreme winds and further distances this could really start to add up.

When I ran this again the drop was adjusted at 400 yards from 21.1 to 22.2 at 400 with a 7.5 MPH and I think it could have been closer to 10MPH.

I also noticed my zero was 0.5 MOA low after re-zeroing. When I zeroed I was shooting straight into a headwind and am not sure if that effected it but regardless it was low by 1/2 an inch.

Lastly the mirage was so bad when we shot I could barely see the target. Last week I could see 2inch targets at 400 no problem. I really think the mirage was causing issues as I had never seen it that bad.

Does anyone think mirage causes low impacts?

I used a long tape and my rangefinder was correct, my scope tracked accurately and I ran the speed again for the chronograph.

At the end of the day i think it was a combination of a 1/2 inch low zero, extreme mirage, and the wind deflection that all added up to low impacts. At 400 I was roughly 8 inches low. my assumption is about 2 inches for the zero, 1 inch for wind deflection and the rest for mirage.

Any further thoughts or insights are appreciated. i feel much more confident for my next trip to keep dialing it in. I was hitting 400 with 5.25 MOA and Strelok says to use 5.3 MOA.

The picture is my first 400 yard group without the wind deflection turned on so subtracting an inch is about where I would be. Had one pretty high and I was holding on left side of plate trying to hold for wind and didn’t hold quite enough.

Attachments

• 0565A635-00AC-4E87-9193-A791084812BF.jpeg
    0565A635-00AC-4E87-9193-A791084812BF.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
Kyle Wheeler
This is THE reason I shoot a LabRadar inst3ad of my MSv3 these days. Just set it up and send it, in any configuration I want, without fiddling with straps, spacers or impacts to barrel harmonics.
I tried with the magnetto speed and it definitely changed impacts. I just use it for speed not groups but with ammo prices it is a little annoying haha.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I tried with the magnetto speed and it definitely changed impacts. I just use it for speed not groups but with ammo prices it is a little annoying haha.
Exactamundo. I got tired of shooting for accuracy and velocity separately. I've got a target gun and several ARs that are super consistent with the MSv3. You can index the MSv3 right up against the brake, strap it in tight, and G2G. For my rifles with tapered barrels, it would shift POI from shot to shot as the MSv3 worked itself forwards. Naturally, the MSv3 doesn't work with my pistols (or my bow). Still a great unit in terms of accuracy and not having to be forward of the firing line to do your thing.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Exactamundo. I got tired of shooting for accuracy and velocity separately. I've got a target gun and several ARs that are super consistent with the MSv3. You can index the MSv3 right up against the brake, strap it in tight, and G2G. For my rifles with tapered barrels, it would shift POI from shot to shot as the MSv3 worked itself forwards. Naturally, the MSv3 doesn't work with my pistols (or my bow). Still a great unit in terms of accuracy and not having to be forward of the firing line to do your thing.
Good point for archery as well. Thanks again!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Mirage doesn't get crazy where I live and shoot, but we do get mirage. Generally, the image will translate in the direction of the mirage.

For a left to right wind (with mirage), the image of the target will bounce to the right, and the left-most image would represent the actual target location. This would result in potentially missing to the right if you held where the target appeared instead of the actual location of the target

Similarly, for a "boiling" mirage, the image of the target may bounce up and the lowest location of the image would represent the true location of the target. This would result in potentially missing high if you held where the target appeared instead of the actual location of the target.

Below are old depictions of what I'm talking about......and a flying boat

View attachment 308765

View attachment 308766

View attachment 308767

View attachment 308768
This is pretty wild! So if mirage was coming at you would that cause low impacts? Very neat information I appreciate you sharing.