Ballistics help.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hey folks. I have a question for someone with better data than I have. Which of these combinations will be carrying more kinetic energy at 400 yds? A 7mm 160gr TTSX launched at 3000 fps,and a .30 cal 180gr TTSX launched at 2750fps? A small skirmish erupted today at lunch time between a 7 RM man and a 30/06 fella. I have some old vague printed material,but nothing relating to the Barnes bullets. I'm thinking it's a shooting match up to 300 yds,then the BC of the 7mm starts to take hold. I kept my opinions to myself,but am curious how it plays out. Thanks all,R.J.

Whisky

WKR
There is no 160gr TTSX in .284 so I'm assuming it's a 150.....

7mm - .308
400 yds 1600ft/lbs - 1652 ft/lbs
600 yds 1126 - 1182
800 yds 777 - 835

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
You're right Whisky. I think the argument was more bullet weight based than tip. I see from your post there isn't a gnat's butt worth of difference between these 2 weights. From what I can tell,the drops out to 400 don't amount to much either. Maybe 4" of difference give or take a little for zero distance. Maybe the old 06 toter at work isn't too far off of right. His argument was "Why pass up a good old 180gr ought six for a 7 mag when the 06 will run right with (or a little ahead of) the 160gr 7 Rem Mag"? The fire was lit initially over the monolithic bullets,and their benefits over cup and core. The 7 RM crowd claimed the Barnes bullets @ 7 RM velocities pretty much burried the old 30/06. Seems maybe not. So, old otter lover played the " Barnes makes 06 bullets too". And so the Barnes on Barnes ,06 over 7 RM debate raged on. Pretty entertaining at times.

Whisky

WKR
It appears your "otter lover" knew what he was talking about! :D

Honestly, it would surprise most if they took the time to plug in realistic data into a ballistic calc, in a fair comparison, for all the most popular cartridges. Sight in for max point blank range for each cartridge, and then compare ballistics. They are all so damn close out to most people's max effective range it's not even worth arguing about. Once you get out there 600+, then it starts separating them a bit.