Ballistics questions

Wind calls are easy enough. That's the one good factor with ballistics. a 5 mph wind hold is exactly 1/2 of a 10 mph wind hold. It's not an exponential factor. We always use 10 mph for our drop charts then it's easy enough to convert to more or less. Another reason why I like MILS... a .5 MIL hold in 5 mph wind is a 1 MIL hold in 10 mph wind, 1.5 MIL hold in 15 mph wind, 2 MIL hold in 20 mph...etc Easier 7 Minutes in 5 mph wind then 14 minutes for a 10 mph wind, 21 minute hold in 15 mph wind, 28 minutes in 20 mph wind...etc Smaller numbers are easier for this guy! :)

Mike

KMD

Banned
Mike, they are working on a MILS software update due out in January.
Nice to see them "updating" to an already longstanding, proven system for long range shooting! Least they're finally getting with the program, LOL

With a mil based system, you can generate dope for any rifle, shooting any load, from any location, under any atmospheric conditions, and correct for them with a two digit numerical value (three at most, for uber long range). And the fact that mrad is a base 10 unit of measure, it streamlines the intuitive math required for reticle holds, and having fewer digits to work with in your dope is a blessing.

Thing is, ya can't easily package miliradians into a 'user friendly' shooting system and market it as such. Mil based reticles have been around for a long time, and miliradians are the universal language that anyone with a mil based scope can speak with relative ease. And the newer mil based reticles with more graduated subtensions, and scopes with matching turrets has made it even easier!
But that fact doesn't help when you're trying to market your own scope, based on arbitrary "custom" features like ballistic turrets and reticles tailored to one rifle, one load and one set of conditions. They are marketed to make things as simple as possible for the shooter, when in truth, you're actually painting yourself into a ballistic corner, where you'll stay without more "custom" products to get out of it...

Don't mean to sound argumentative, just wanting to point out that these 'long range' shooting systems you see on TV are definitely not the ''end all, be all" of hitting a target at distance. And once ya learn how straightforward, consistent, and versatile using a mil based scope & dope is, you won't ever have to rely on anything "custom" ever again.

Regardless of what you're runnin', GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT! Those wind calls don't make themselves!!!
take care!

KMD,
I agree with a lot of what you say!

But Rosin is referring the the G7 rangefinder being able to have a ballistic output in not only their turret graduations and MOA, but also in MILS which just like MOA can be applied to a whole new corner of the scope world. They haven't been marketing it JUST towards their line of scopes and turrets (but do lean that way for sure!). I am glad to see them enter the world of miliradians!

I'll admit having a rangefinder, baro pressure, temp sensor and ballistic program all in a single unit sounds pretty handy but I doubt I'll ever spend the money for one, least not for awhile :)

Mike

KMD

Banned
Absolutely! Spitting out dope in mils will be a great feature for the G7. That rangefinder will surely appeal to the growing market share of mil based optics shooters out there. Smart move to that end, I'd entertain having one myself, but just can't justify the expense. Alas, I'm happily rockin' a new CRF 1600-B for this year, but will still use an old school friggin' Palm Pilot w/Exbal to run my dope, LOL!!!
hunting2012027.jpg

take care!

Absolutely! Spitting out dope in mils will be a great feature for the G7. That rangefinder will surely appeal to the growing market share of mil based optics shooters out there. Smart move to that end, I'd entertain having one myself, but just can't justify the expense. Alas, I'm happily rockin' a new CRF 1600-B for this year, but will still use an old school friggin' Palm Pilot w/Exbal to run my dope, LOL!!!
hunting2012027.jpg

take care!

That is a wicked looking setup you have there! I agree justifying the cost of the G7 just isn't worth it unless I'd sell off some of my other gear. But since my gear is multi function I don't see it happening until money becomes much less of an issue!

You're welcome to shoot with me anytime... keep calm and shoot on :)

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like MILS.

That is some rig, KMD. Which reticle are you running in your Premier?

Also, tell us about the chassis. Ah hell, just give us the rundown on the whole rig.

:)

KMD

Banned
I appreciate that, gents!
The rifle was built by GA Precision on a Surgeon 591 short action, chambered in 7WSM. Barrel is a fluted 24" #7 contour, 9twist Broughton 5C w/Badger Thruster brake. It was originally bedded in a McMillan A5 Edge stock with M4 bottom metal and a Wyatt's extended mag box, but I got a hankering to try that new XLR chassis and swapped it into one. The XLR chassis is really a nice piece, and you can really fine tune the LOP and comb height to fit your body like a glove. Very comfortable to get behind and shoot, and the extra weight soaks up even more of the already manageable recoil, thanks to the Thruster brake.

With the handle change, it went from holding two rounds in the Wyatt's box to feeding seven from Alpha WSM mags. Main reason for the switch was to compete in Tactical shooting matches with that rifle, but Life happened and those aspirations changed. I really only use that rifle now for steel safari fun and some general whitetail smashing.
When that barrel is toast, I'm actually thinking to re-barrel and go back to a more general hunting friendly platform. As it sits now, its 16 lbs. even, not too bad to lug up the hill to wait out a deer. But I really only will hunt with it, so a lighter contour barrel and bedding it back into a more hunter friendly stock like a Micky GameScout will shave a bunch of weight back off. Might even go back full circle to the Wyatt's box magazine, one round in the pipe and two in the belly are more than adequate to hunt with. Still got several hundred rounds left in this barrel, so that might not be til the end of the year.

The Premier 5-25x56 has the Gen II XR, and it is a wonderful scope! Have a couple 3-15x50 Premiers too, and prefer the Gen II Mildot in that lower zoom range...