Bamboo

Why has no high end camo company added bamboo into their early season hot weather hunting clothes? It seems like the perfect material for hot early season mountain hunting.

it wicks better than anything I know of, doesn’t stink (even More so than merino) and it’s a very cool material

anyone know of any bamboo fiber clothing of quality that is made? It seems like a bamboo blend would be best case for early season hot weather

JRMiller

WKR
A while back a friend and i were talking it came up. His perception, and i guess i could see how, is he associated anything bamboo as “cheaper alternative to cotton, lower quality”. Not that thats true, thats just what he assumed.
I have never used it myself just cause like you said its not out there much.
might be great for all i know

kipper09

WKR
I have some free fly stuff. It’s pretty cool as a layer, quality is pretty solid. It’s pretty expensive and I personally think my aerowool tee dries faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoKid

WKR
I have some of the Badlands bamboo uppers and bottoms that I got through camofire around 2016. I really like it as it wicks well and is relatively warm. It is light as silk but not as smooth. It doesn't feel rough on the skin, it just feels like a light fabric but clearly warmer than it feels. I wear mine mid to late season for 10 days without a problem or noticeable odor. I got it as I tend to run warm while hunting and quality Merino was too expensive at the time.

Cariloha is a company that sells bamboo clothing based out of the Caribbean. I got a pair or two of their draws. Not bad but nothing I found spectacular. I rotate them
With other draws but I could easily see where the bamboo would lose its form and become quite saggy quite quick if worn for longer than a day or so.
Maybe that is one of the reasons they aren’t targeted toward hunting or back packing crowd?

I have some underwear from me undies made of modal. Have a fishing shirt in bamboo too. It is comfy for hot weather. I don’t think I would stack it up with other fabrics for durability but for light use stuff it is grea t.

deep_al

FNG
I have one of the Duck Camp camo hoodies that is bamboo. I love it, I've worn in full sun in the 80°'s to keep the sun off me, and as a mid layer in Wyoming snow. The problem is the "new and improved" version they just released is a bamboo cotton blend and sold as mid weight.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

SMOKYMTN

WKR
The biggest issue with bamboo is that it takes forever to dry out, longer than cotton in many studies. It works great as a light outer layer with wicking and UV protection which is why it has taken off in the fishing market but I'm not so sure of it's effectiveness in the broader hunting market.

OP
roosiebull
The biggest issue with bamboo is that it takes forever to dry out, longer than cotton in many studies. It works great as a light outer layer with wicking and UV protection which is why it has taken off in the fishing market but I'm not so sure of it's effectiveness in the broader hunting market.
Certainly a niche material, but it seems ideal for hot weather. I would be all over a lightweight long sleeve top for elk hunting.

bamboo bath towels are all I have used for a few years, and the material just seems perfect for hot hunting conditions, and was curious why it hasn’t hit the hunting market... at least a couple specific items

it does dry slow, but if it’s hot, I’m good with that

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Certainly a niche material, but it seems ideal for hot weather. I would be all over a lightweight long sleeve top for elk hunting.

I agree. That’s why I said the broader hunting market. I think it could be useful in certain situations, like dry heat in the west during early season. I own a few Free Fly shirts for guiding in the summer here and they stay drenched in sweat during the dog days of the south when I have to move a lot. They’re great for fishing on the coast where you have constant moving air and you’re not moving like you are during hunting, and I’d venture to say they’d do great in nearly all situations out west during warm months, or anywhere where it’s hot but you don’t have to move much (i.e. sitting in a tree stand).

If you’re outside anywhere where it rains, no way I’d wear it. If you're having to move a lot during hunting and it’s humid, I wouldn’t wear it either. Those are basically cotton principles in that regard but performs way better than cotton during hot days on the water. That’s when it really shines.

StevenH

FNG
I have some Cariloha items. They have not stood out as exceptional. I prefer merino wool in any climate.
Living in Florida, archery season starts in August which is just miserable unless you have excellent wicking and scent control. A light wool base layer fits that better than anything else I have tried.