Bang steel va/ east coast hunters

To anyone that cares I recently attended a two day course with bang steel in Virginia.

I took my new out of the box 300 win mag to to the class. I’m shooting a ridgeline ti. ( note a 6 pound rifle isn’t ideal for long range shooting so that’s a testament the class)

long story short the first day we worked up dope and the second day you range targets adjust and get on them. I hit 18in steel at 1200 first shot. Same with 900 and 1040 yards.
I’ve never shot past 200 yards seriously and this class for 400 bucks has given me all the confidence i need to know I can make long range shots if conditions are right.
I highly recommend giving them a call if you are on the east coast and need a place to “start”.

Last edited:

Tilley

FNG
I have been looking at taking a class through them. One of the guys I know went and said it was great, he had nothing but good to say. My only hesitation is that I as well have a light weight gun ( Seekins Havok Element) and did not know if the barrel would be able to cool down. @strattonje2020 is there enough time for the barrel to cool between shots?

OP
S
I have been looking at taking a class through them. One of the guys I know went and said it was great, he had nothing but good to say. My only hesitation is that I as well have a light weight gun ( Seekins Havok Element) and did not know if the barrel would be able to cool down. @strattonje2020 is there enough time for the barrel to cool between shots?
Yes there is plenty of time for that. They will work with you on whatever you need. I obviously had a carbon barrel which after those two days I couldn’t say enough good things about it.

Good to hear. I am in VA and have been looking at them too. I will have to check them out in the spring.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I took a 1 day class with them this august. We brought two rifles Hells canyon speed in 7mm 08 And a Hells canyon long range in 6.8 western. Forest is one of the instructors, he’ll go over your gear with you and make sure your rifle will be able to shoot long range and may have some suggestions. But my experience was exactly as the OP described. Very happy with the class making shots out to 1200 yards. A couple of things they suggested and we implemented Have a 20 MOA rail, have all of your ammo from the same lot, Have a scope that has windage holding points preferably in MOA or mils. Great class and great people

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
To anyone that cares I recently attended a two day course with bang steel in Virginia.

I took my new out of the box 300 win mag to to the class. I’m shooting a ridgeline ti. ( note a 6 pound rifle isn’t ideal for long range shooting so that’s a testament the class)

long story short the first day we worked up dope and the second day you range targets adjust and get on them. I hit 18in steel at 1200 first shot. Same with 900 and 1040 yards.
I’ve never shot past 200 yards seriously and this class for 400 bucks has given me all the confidence i need to know I can make long range shots if conditions are right.
I highly recommend giving them a call if you are on the east coast and need a place to “start”.

Can you expound on your experience at the class? Can you give a bit more detail in what you were taught or learned?

OP
S
Can you expound on your experience at the class? Can you give a bit more detail in what you were taught or learned?
so day 1 you spend about an hour getting to know everyone and the main instructor Dan will explain basics of shooting and telling you to ignore what you see in movies. Meanwhile his son forest who is a comp shooter will check your rifles zero, scope mounts. then dial in for 600 yards to check the chart they make for you.

next they will show you the basics of prone shooting. breathing trigger pull and the need to get your rifle stable. ( I've had a good idea on breathing and how to squeeze the trigger), but what I came to see is guys aren't making 900 yards shot laying prone just supporting their rifle. you are getting rock solid rests. The bipod and rear bag setup is crucial and trying to mimic this in the field is essential to making long range shots.

next your first target you shoot is 600 yards. and you scale up to 900 yards day 1 with spotters calling your impacts behind you.

day two you basically get right into shooting starting at 720 -1200 yards. The range is very important to out west hunting as your up on a hill shooting down or up to the targets on a mountain side. also during the second day they want you to use your chart and watch your point of impact to make wind adjustments. They will explain some of the the extreme effects of bullets. ( at the moment the terms escape me). but they really aren't relevant for long range hun ting 800 yards or less.

example if your shooting south towards the equator the earth is technically spinning slightly faster than where the gun and shooter on spinning on its rotation. These effects are marginal at these ranges so there is no point in worrying about the data. The most important thing is to be familure with judging wind as its mostly a very educated guess. at long ranges.