Banned for life in 48 states

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see the court took this seriously enough to ban him, and with the interstate compact, it’s a hefty penalty. Too many poachers get off easy, and poachers give hunters a bad rap.

I feel like the monetary penalty should have been much higher. A guy like that doesn't seem to care that he wont be able to buy a license anywhere he'll just hunt without them like he's been doing for a long time now. What are peoples thoughts on a $50-75K fine?

z987k

WKR
I feel like the monetary penalty should have been much higher. A guy like that doesn't seem to care that he wont be able to buy a license anywhere he'll just hunt without them like he's been doing for a long time now. What are peoples thoughts on a $50-75K fine?
I think they should figure out everything he used in furtherance of the poaching and seize them. Things like his vehicle(s), guns, binos, 4x4s, etc. 10k per animal and then then up to 1 year per offense.

$4600 is probably less than it'd cost me to go hunt that many animals.

def90

WKR
Guy was already poaching, unfortunately not being able to get a license probably doesn't matter much as far as recidivism goes. Not any different than the guy that loses his drivers license after a DUI and then gets 10 more.

OP
weekender7
I say sock it to him. The ram alone should have been 50K, and 10K a piece for the deer doesn't sound unreasonable to me. 2500 for each turkey would get a clap too.

I say sock it to him. The ram alone should have been 50K, and 10K a piece for the deer doesn't sound unreasonable to me. 2500 for each turkey would get a clap too.
Thats a good point on the ram alone. Really should be looking at over $100K. I think you start handing out fines like that and people would really think about the consequences before poaching.

def90

WKR
As far as fines go, if a state only charges lets say $200 for a tag what would be the legal limit for a fine that the state could say is the value of the animal? Unfortunately there is a price limit to everything and you can't just impose a fine of X amount just because, fines have a loss value assigned to them.

Mosby

WKR
I grew up with guys like this. He wakes up every day looking for a fight and living by the feud. He's a looser but fighting and killing stuff gives him purpose. Everybody in the area knows him so he feels good about that. It's all he has. He doesn't have any money or assets so he'll likely never pay any fine. He'll do 6 months in jail standing on his head. Eventually he'll escalate and do something that will put him away for years but he'll keep going until that happens.

Vandal 44

WKR
A guy like this doesn’t care about having a hunting license and he will probably make monthly payments of $100 for the next 46 months to the court. He will be out pouching again before years end.

I think the should cut his hand off, maybe then he will learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got off waaaay to easy as far as I’m concerned. I wonder what two states he is still allowed to legally hunt in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freddyG

WKR
Guys like this don’t have $100, let alone $100,000. Even the courts can’t get blood out of a rock.

chasewild

WKR
6 months in jail and $4600!!! Tack another 0 on the dollars and add another 6 to the months and we're getting close.