Bannock recipe, take anywhere just add water...

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Premix 2 cups of flour with,

-1/2 tsp of salt
-2 tsp baking powder
-1 tblsp of sugar
-1/4 cup of powdered milk

(multiply ratio as needed)

Mix all ingredients well and store in a ziplock bag or container of choice.

When ready to eat, just take 1 cup of mixture and add cold water slowly while mixing, just a little water at a time. Untill you get a nice uniform dough, and dont knead too much, you want to keep the air in the dough making it lighter and not so much like a hockey puck.

Then spread dough evenly into a well oiled pan and cook slowly untill browned and then flip and do the same for the other side. Add butter and maybe some jam and enjoy.

If you make the dough nice and thick it can also be wrapped around a stick and cooked over the fire, just take your time not to burn it

Hope you all enjoy it, I know I do! :D

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks crazy davey, that sounds great. I confess I only like "recreational cooking" in the backcountry, I.e. cooking for fun or enjoyment, not because we have to cook to eat that day. For early season backpack or hike in fishing trips, this will totally fit the bill and make a nice break from dehydrated food and crackers or tortillas. Look forward to trying it out!

Wrongside

WKR
We started eating bannock more often this past fall... again. The whole family loves it! They even had me fry some up for breakfast at home a few times. It's really good, piping hot with butter and honey. Or with some Liptons cup'a'soups...