BAR mk3 30-06 carbine 18.5 in barrel hunting range? What you think?

I recently purchased a limited production 30-06 BAR mk3 carbine 18.5 in. barrel for elk hunting mostly. There is not a lot of information on this length barrel and I'm kind of curious what to expect as far as effective hunting range and basically everything about it? My thought is 250 probably in a pinch for range? However I'm not too concerned about range as I have other rifles for that work and plan on using for thick stuff. My thought was to use 180gr bullets but this is were I'd really like some help. What would be more advantage for this shorter barrel heavy or lighter bullets? Should I go to 200 or 220 gr since my range will be shorter any how? Thanks holler at me if you got any info. I'm in the limbo waiting for my online purchase to arrive.Screenshot_20210427-183923(1).png

bpctcb

WKR
That should be pretty sweet in the thick stuff. And very similar to a short barrel 308. I’d use 165 or 180’s for copper/lead Bullets. 150 if shooting solid copper but I’d steer away from those do to velocity concerns in a short barrel.

Should easily be good for 250 yards. I’d sight in for 200 yards and see what the bullet does at 100, 250,300,350 yards while holding dead on. Chrono it if possible. Basically set it up for maximum point blank range.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gen273

WKR
It is a great rifle; I own one, and I have enjoyed it. Of course, I use it in the east, where 250 yards is a long shot.

OP
PNWRiflemanX
It is a great rifle; I own one, and I have enjoyed it. Of course, I use it in the east, where 250 yards is a long shot.
Thank...I've notice it seems to be a eastern thing. I have some similar bush as I'm near the coast in Oregon.

OP
PNWRiflemanX
That's a good plan that is exactly how to roll with it I think. I'm hoping to have it in a couple wks last rifle took awhile. I probably would of got a 308 as there were a few available but I have 30-06 ammo to support practicing and hunting. I've heard muzzle blast may be a touch robust.

How do you like it? I have a MKIII Hells Canyon in 30-06 I've had trouble getting a group with. What ammo does it prefer?