Bar/ nut butter expiration

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Sure I'm not the only one who always has extra single serve nutrition stuff left over. I've got quite a bit a year or two past the expiration. How far do you go past this? Just cracked open a nut butter filled cliff bar a year past and it tastes just like I remember. I've got nut butter packs expired in '19 but am on the fence about them.

The only ones id possibly worry about would be rx bars because they have egg.
And I had paccaroons mold.
Other then that won't make you sick.
They usually just get hard, chalky or dry.

So just go thru and maybe test one of each thing to make sure your still willing to eat it.

Usually that's a "best by" date, not a true expiration date. It might say it expires by a certain date, but with modern packaging, and as much preservatives and what not in things these days, you are probably just fine. I would try a few while at home just to be sure though.

I take expired bars and other things with me every year. My work affords me the opportunity to build up a collection of snacks and other things throughout the year. I just put them in the freezer until I need them and have never had an issue. This year I will be bringing 2-3 year old probars, Justin's hazelnut butter that I know is atleast 3 years old, Bobo bars I've had for atleast 2 years, and jerky from ???

With the way the world is now, I think expiration dates is a thing just so companies can cover their ass. However, I'd you ask my wife about the milk expiration date, come midnight, it turns into the most toxic thing on earth.

I've made her pancakes with the same expired milk and it's never been a problem. 😁

OP
N

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much what i was thinking. As someone who works in a highly regulated industry, we have at least 2x overage built into our recommendations. Sure its not a whole lot different for them. And selling more obviously is an upside to actual safety.
Usually that's a "best by" date, not a true expiration date. It might say it expires by a certain date, but with modern packaging, and as much preservatives and what not in things these days, you are probably just fine. I would try a few while at home just to be sure though.

I take expired bars and other things with me every year. My work affords me the opportunity to build up a collection of snacks and other things throughout the year. I just put them in the freezer until I need them and have never had an issue. This year I will be bringing 2-3 year old probars, Justin's hazelnut butter that I know is atleast 3 years old, Bobo bars I've had for atleast 2 years, and jerky from ???

With the way the world is now, I think expiration dates is a thing just so companies can cover their ass. However, I'd you ask my wife about the milk expiration date, come midnight, it turns into the most toxic thing on earth.

I've made her pancakes with the same expired milk and it's never been a problem