Barbary New Mexico

Does anyone have any tips on Barbary sheep in New Mexico units 34,36? Never been there and never hunted them.

Following along .... I've been wondering the same thing the last two days. Although Unit 36 is not an OTC unit if I'm not mistaken.

OP
A
Following along .... I've been wondering the same thing the last two days. Although Unit 36 is not an OTC unit if I'm not mistaken.
Correct. I drew it earlier this year. It takes in several units. Do you have any experience with it or the area?

Zero experience in this area or topic, I've only keyboard scouted so far. Following along, hopefully somebody with real experience will chime in.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You have the limited tag? Don't bother with the west side of 34, that's the OTC zone that gets hit hard so the sheep act completely different. I haven't hunted the east side but the folks I talked to say is WAY better and the sheep are more prevalent, less spooked, etc. Generally speak bring the best optics you got and use them, the sheep blend in well.

OP
A
You have the limited tag? Don't bother with the west side of 34, that's the OTC zone that gets hit hard so the sheep act completely different. I haven't hunted the east side but the folks I talked to say is WAY better and the sheep are more prevalent, less spooked, etc. Generally speak bring the best optics you got and use them, the sheep blend in well.
That’s an excellent tip thank you so much! I’ve still got lots of research to do but that pointing me the right way!

Cohunter9

FNG
I’ve hunted the otc units and mainly 32 last year when I drew a tag.. I’ve been lucky each time, but glassing and a good map system(onx etc) is a must. Be patient and cover a lot of ground. My experience has been you begin to wonder if they are even there, you turn them up. I’ll be back next month, but back in the otc areas. It’s a super fun hunt either way. I’ve only gotten small Rams, but one day I’ll find a big one.

OP
A
I’ve hunted the otc units and mainly 32 last year when I drew a tag.. I’ve been lucky each time, but glassing and a good map system(onx etc) is a must. Be patient and cover a lot of ground. My experience has been you begin to wonder if they are even there, you turn them up. I’ll be back next month, but back in the otc areas. It’s a super fun hunt either way. I’ve only gotten small Rams, but one day I’ll find a big one.
Hey nice ram! And thanks man, how’s you like 32? My tag is good for there and 34,36,37 and I don’t know which unit to even focus on or even terrain. Such as canyons or mountains?

kinneyjo

FNG
Are you local? I haven't personally hunted them but I found some deer hunting this year. Shoot me a PM.