Barbary sheep; New Mexico. Putting out feelers.

Teaspoon

FNG
Hey all, first post. New member here, longtime member on Bowsite.
I lucked out and drew an auodad tag in New Mexico, units 00 in December. Just fishing for a little advice and some direction / areas to focus on. No stranger to difficult hunts here in Colorado but definitely a stranger to chasing these sheep. Any tips / areas to focus on would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck on the tag. It's my first year applying for them as a resident and drew the same tag as you. From what I've seen on here and other sites online, nobody really wants to share even general locations or typical habitat. Kinda equate it to a deer tag that can be drawn every couple of years for a resident.

Only thing I've found interesting is: https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/do...-news/Volume_51-Number_3-Winter-2006_2007.pdf

Kimbersig

WKR
They are all over the place in those units once you get to areas with topo lines getting closer together. Just look on topo maps and Google earth for good glassing spots.

I have the same tag you have just 1 month after in January. I also live in Colorado. I plan on going down to explore soon. If you can PM me I would like to compare notes.
Thanks

OP
Teaspoon

Teaspoon

FNG
Yea man, found em and tagged out. How about yourself?
Thanks everyone for the insight.

OP
Teaspoon

Teaspoon

FNG
I learned a lot. Mostly what I wouldn't do if I had the opportunity again... cool animals, fun hunt. Crossing my fingers to do it again someday.

tclipse

Lil-Rokslider
Same here, drew early Feb on my first draw- I was expecting it to take a couple of years.

I as well drew the February hunt hoping to get some ideas as to where to start, motel ,camp trailer, tent? looks like a very big area so any pointers or ideas will help I would also be willing to trade or help in utah idaho wyoming hunts

Jbow387

FNG
I have the same tag you have just 1 month after in January. I also live in Colorado. I plan on going down to explore soon. If you can PM me I would like to compare notes.
Thanks
Drew the same tag, never hunted them before so looking forward to the challenge

Good luck!

OP
Teaspoon

Teaspoon

FNG
Good luck, everyone is going to tell you to hunt the broke offs. :)