Barbary sheep; New Mexico. Putting out feelers.

New Mexico native. Had/hunted the unit twice. Tagged out once. Wasn’t familiar with the area first trip down and had several opportunities for my wife, who is a brand new hunter, to harvest but she didn’t realize all sheep had horns… so made the actual harvest hard…. Anyways, we hunted ***. Lots of sheep in the area. We essentially did lots of walking/ driving until we found some. Even seen some Nannie’s directly from camp. Any area around the *** will find you some sheep. Just keep looking. Will be back again in February 24 for my third trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
New Mexico native. Had/hunted the unit twice. Tagged out once. Wasn’t familiar with the area first trip down and had several opportunities for my wife, who is a brand new hunter, to harvest but she didn’t realize all sheep had horns… so made the actual harvest hard…. Anyways, we hunted ***. Lots of sheep in the area. We essentially did lots of walking/ driving until we found some. Even seen some Nannie’s directly from camp. Any area around the *** will find you some sheep. Just keep looking. Will be back again in February 24 for my third trip.
I'll ask that if you share specific areas do it by private message. Lots of spots are ruined by being posted on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'll ask that if you share specific areas do it by private message. Lots of spots are ruined by being posted on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Understandable, just posting information stated on Nmdgf website essentially as that’s where I found general area to hunt.

yfarm

WKR
Just wanted to post some general comments about my experience. Son drew a tag several years ago, he and I had never hunted Barbs. I spent three days in May driving the unit we hunted, saw sheep the first day, spoke with 2 cattlemen running leases in the unit that gave general guidance. Went back in November for a couple more days of unit familiarization and saw sheep again. Got there 2 days before the season and scouted the day before and found sheep in similar areas. Season opened and the unit was covered in UTVs racing around, sat on a high saddle for 3 days where I had seen sheep and watched and heard utvs from miles away with no shots heard and no sheep seen. On day 4 we hiked 4 hours into a trail less area and shot a 32” ram, spent an hour quartering it and 4 hours out. Son runs marathons and is training for a triathalon, when we got out to our starting point he laid on the ground for 30 minutes in complete exhaustion. Said it was the hardest hunt he had ever done. Heard no other shots that day and the next when we broke camp. Lesson for me was the sheep know what the utvs mean and vanish into the most difficult terrain.