Barbary Sheep

Russp17

WKR
Hey was lucky enough to draw a Barbary sheep hunt in New mexico for Feb 2018. Should be fun and a good excuse to get out of Alaska in the winter. Draw area is 32, 34, 36 and 37. I guess what I'm wondering about is are any private ranches availble to do trespass fees for a reasonable amount if not I'll just plan on DIY public land.

Any info is appreciated.

FLAK

WKR
I did it in 09 I think. Did not kill, but saw some spectacular country.
I love the desert in the Winter.
If you really want to kill a good one, book a trip in SW Texas down near the border.
Marfa/Presidio area. I killed a beast with Desert Safaris in 07.

chops24

WKR
I'll be hunting it. Have killed Barbs in NM but never down there. PM me and we can share info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted the OTC portion of 34 a good bit. With a draw tag I'm not sure thats where I would start since they are pressured all year. With that said I do not know where in any of the other units you can find sheep.

WoodBow

WKR
We have been twice. We rotate who buys a tag. A sheep got to ride home in the truck both years. It is a fantastic hunt. Expect it to be challenging. There is some nasty broken country in there and that's where the sheep like to be. We always find them bedded along or walking along the base of sheer cliffs. Take good glass and use it non stop.

• Banned
OP
R

Russp17

WKR
Thank you everyone for the info. Looks like a fun trip for sure. Should be a nice excuse to get out of Alaska and do some hunting.

OP
R

Russp17

WKR
Just saw this. Had a great hunt. Did DIY public. Spent 9 days hunting and killed the ram on the last day of the hunt. Had a chance a big ram another time but just didn't work out. Got this guy on day 9. View attachment 71117
barbary 2.jpg

jolemons

WKR
That's a unit 32 public land from my secret spot
6b75470fe10f59809fcd1b8a62d8db83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Russp17

WKR
Nice ram! I hope to draw again had a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyben

FNG
I drew a 32,34,36,37 tag. I can't wait till next winter. I've never hunted them before, any advice would be appreciated. Nice Rams.