Bare Dirt Area?

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
The last couple years we have come across some big patches of bare dirt that looked to be torn up from elk activity. Looked a rodeo had taken place in the trees on the side of the mountain. There were clear trails leading to and from the area and then just a big (50 yards x 75 yards) spot where no grass or vegetation was growing. Has anyone ever run across something like this? I'm pretty green when it comes to elk hunting, so my apologies if it's something I should be familiar with.40A877D1-4B03-4343-95BE-8B43CE099FEB.jpeg

Wapiti1

WKR
Best guess would be domestic sheep tore it up and you are just seeing the aftermath. I've seen scorched earth like that from mobs of prairie maggots as they devour the landscape.

The only time that I've seen wild game tear up an area is for minerals in the soil.

Just my experience, could be way off.

Jeremy

Geewhiz

WKR
I've seen what your talking about in areas of montana where there are no sheep. Not sure what it is about the areas that specifically draws them there as they are all on side hills and no water/salt licks in the immediate vicinity. Trails entering from multiple directions. Maybe just a major intersection of sorts? I wasn't really sure either

OP
O

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I've never seen sheep in the area. Plenty of cattle though, maybe they are the cause.

P Carter

WKR
I've seen areas like this that I believe are salt or mineral licks. I believe that because I have trail camera photos of elk, deer, and bears licking at the soil. (Coincidentally, these also seem to serve as a sort of rowdy/play area for calves and fawns...I have really funny footage of them running, jumping, and hoof-smacking each other. Pretty comical.)

I've also seen areas like this that appear to be a sort of dry wallow/dust wallow. I don't have trail camera photos, but these areas will have hide prints and really fresh urine sprayed all over. Perhaps it's my imagination, but I've always envisioned bulls wallowing in the area similar to a wet wallow. It could also be used for insect protection, I suppose. Either way, I'd take this as a sign that elk are, or at least have recently been, in the area. Good find!

OP
O

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input. This is indeed Colorado. Elk are certainly in the areas. Abundant fresh sign and I bumped a bedded bull right on the edge of one of these spots.

cnelk

WKR
Its called a dry wallow - I find them occasionally. Just a depression where the elk like to roll. Never any water in them, just dirt

Sled

WKR
Its called a dry wallow - I find them occasionally. Just a depression where the elk like to roll. Never any water in them, just dirt
it looks like almost at 20 degree slope. do you typically see wallows on slopes like that in CO?

ElkNut1

WKR
If it were done by cattle you would see cow patties & huge cattle tracks all through it, there'd be no mistaking it!

Since you found abundant elk sign in it & around including trails with elk tracks leading to & from it including a bedded bull next to it I'd say there's a very good chance it's a mineral lick type area as Laramie mentions & it's disruption is caused by multiple elk usage & not just that bull you jumped.

Mineral licks can be in a variety of soils & even in sandy spots & are generally much larger in size than any type of Wallow. Dry Wallows are generally the size of a Wet Wallow & are dished out where elk have rolled in it to a degree. They will also urinate in them leaving that pungent elk aroma when active use is happening.

These active Licks & Wallows are generally near bedding areas. This means within earshot of Calling if you choose to do so or elk sound off on their own! So yes, they are worth hunting, whether you call or sit tight with much patience & good wind awaiting arrival. Personally I prefer calling to locate as I lack patience! (grin)

Here's a photo of a Dry Wallow, note it's size & the small dished out curb or bank where dirt is pushed as a bull rolls in it. You can also see where the dirt is tossed about with pawing & raking his antlers through it beyond the actual wallow.

These bulls here were all taken within calling distance from this one dry wallow!

ElkNut

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2018 Paul II 5pt Bull ID.JPG
    2018 Paul II 5pt Bull ID.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 19 2015 Paul II Six Point Bull.jpg
    19 2015 Paul II Six Point Bull.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN2690.JPG
    DSCN2690.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 55

Austink47

WKR
Like Laramie said probably a mineral lick. In NM we have found spots like that where deer will actually eat the dirt.

ElkNut1

WKR
As I mentioned above, Mineral Licks are generally larger in size & occur in different soils. The reason for this is multiple elk; even the herd will be in it at the same time as the bull. Of course Cow groups can occupy mineral lick areas on their own as well.

Here's a photo of a Lick in sandy soil, I've watched elk in this area lick this sand for 15 minutes upwards to an hour. This lick is aprox 30'x30' -- It's crazy how they can do this so long without water to wash it down! They love that salty taste I guess! (grin) I also have photos of Lick areas similar to the the thread starters one!

Here's a bull I took standing on the edge of this very Lick as 6 cows stood in it licking the sand. He had waited for the cows to enter it first from the cover then waltzed in bugling, man what a rush it was to maintain composure as I settled my pin on him! This is what I live for every year!

ElkNut

Attachments

• DSCN1897.JPG
    DSCN1897.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN1910.jpg
    DSCN1910.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 46

cnelk

WKR
Anyone that grew up on a farm or ranch and had cattle, knows that big animals roll in the dirt.

No mineral deposits necessary

crossone

FNG
I've seen lots of these in the St. Joe River country growing up. Definitely no sheep or cattle around. They may be dry wallows, like ElkNut suggests, but I've often found them on pretty steep hillsides and sometimes in fairly moist soil. ElkNut is probably right, but we always described them as 'rutting areas' because something caused them to churn up a 30x30 foot area like 6" deep.

Good question. Thanks for the conversation.

Cross

Huntnnw

WKR
I've seen lots of these in the St. Joe River country growing up. Definitely no sheep or cattle around. They may be dry wallows, like ElkNut suggests, but I've often found them on pretty steep hillsides and sometimes in fairly moist soil. ElkNut is probably right, but we always described them as 'rutting areas' because something caused them to churn up a 30x30 foot area like 6" deep.

Good question. Thanks for the conversation.

Cross
Yup! I can find them on google earth in many places in that country. Some tho I think were outfitters dumping salt for so many years the elk still return decades later.