Bare shaft tuning issue?

I misspoke earlier, they are tail right. I did shoot a few and two hit right next to one another and the other slightly high. They were all pointing the same direction though.
thats good then you got good reapeatable form. i would probably just leave it or maybe try again on a diferent day and see if you shoot any different. youll be pulling your hair out basically for nothing

Something else that is easy to try is rotate the nock 90 degrees and see how they impact. Some people believe in nock tuning, some don’t. I do it just because I like tinkering and it doesn’t hurt anything.

As others have said, if your bareshafts are hitting with your fletched out to 40-60 (depending on how much detail you really want) your fletching will correct any slight tailing you have.

Bigger concern, again as others have already pointed out, is if your broadheads are hitting with your field points.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
This was at 20 yards, yes I know the nocks are missing, I took out the lighted nocks before I took the picture as they were messing with it. Would you keep messing with the rest or just start broadhead tuning from here?

Attachments

• IMG_2899.jpg
    IMG_2899.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 45
Another thing that might be contributing to apparent differences in angle of impact is movement of the target itself from shot to shot. I've been shooting at 10 yds in the garage at a Rinehart 18-in-1 target every night through the winter, and even with a (relatively) weak recurve the arrows can cause the target to rotate a few degrees if they hit off center. Your block target is a bit heavier than my 18-in-1, but your compound at 20 yds is also hitting harder than my 40# recurve at 10 yds. Even if you can rule out target movement as a factor, I'd still move on to broadheads.

So many things can contribute to that little bit of tail one way or another. I think it's mainly pressure on the string, be it nose or face.

I ignore it, go by impact.

3 rd vote on bareshaft angle in target can be misleading. I would shoot bareshaft out to 20-30 and make sure it’s close. Then grab a fixed blade and go out to 40. If you can’t hit the broadside of a barn then stop there. If you can shoot a bit I like to go back to 60 and verify that my broadheads with where I am aiming. I would try nock tuning each arrow with a broadhead on it before you decide to move rest if you get one that hits a little off at 40-60

OP
M

mww982

WKR
So many things can contribute to that little bit of tail one way or another. I think it's mainly pressure on the string, be it nose or face.

I ignore it, go by impact.
I did notice that I do tend to put a little pressure on the string with my nose. Contemplating going with a Bomar nose button to help with that.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
3 rd vote on bareshaft angle in target can be misleading. I would shoot bareshaft out to 20-30 and make sure it’s close. Then grab a fixed blade and go out to 40. If you can’t hit the broadside of a barn then stop there. If you can shoot a bit I like to go back to 60 and verify that my broadheads with where I am aiming. I would try nock tuning each arrow with a broadhead on it before you decide to move rest if you get one that hits a little off at 40-60
That grouping was at 20 yards.

That grouping was at 20 yards.
Ya your tail left bareshaft indicates a weak reaction, curving around the riser, right handed I assume. You will know the second you shoot a fixed blade at 40 if your bow is close to tuned.

I did notice that I do tend to put a little pressure on the string with my nose. Contemplating going with a Bomar nose button to help with that.

I don't know if that will help.
He might sell you on the idea that it will. The fix is more holding weight.

Guess I can't figure out what exactly a nose button does that a few wraps of serving doesn't, it will locate your anchor high/low if you are floating your housing, but so does a simple knot.

Just one puts money in a yet to be convicted, still innocent until proven quilty, seems to be likely, poacher. Waiting on that quilty verdict. Maybe he is right, nothing more than a speeding ticket, and they will walk free. I still don't care for the attitude they put out there, so I don't spend money on their products.

Just saying tail left is generally accepted as a weak arrow if all else if centered.
I agree that it is generally accepted...problem is that it's wrong.

"Tail right = stiff, tail left = weak" (for a right-handed shooter) is a holdover from traditional bows shot with fingers that doesn't apply to centershot compounds shot with a mechanical release. Following that advice can mislead compound shooters into unnecessarily changing up their arrows when the actual root cause of their tuning trouble is a bow or form issue.

I agree that it is generally accepted...problem is that it's wrong.

"Tail right = stiff, tail left = weak" (for a right-handed shooter) is a holdover from traditional bows shot with fingers that doesn't apply to centershot compounds shot with a mechanical release. Following that advice can mislead compound shooters into unnecessarily changing up their arrows when the actual root cause of their tuning trouble is a bow or form issue.
So if you can shoot very consistently with your form that is comfortable and repeatable you should change your form instead of just manipulating the arrow to suit your form?

So if you can shoot very consistently with your form that is comfortable and repeatable you should change your form instead of just manipulating the arrow to suit your form?
No. Repeatable form is paramount for accuracy. If your repeatable form is unconventional, it might necessitate unconventional bow settings when tuning (e.g., rest further than "normal" inside or outside of 13/16"); however, consistent unconventional form is still preferable to inconsistent but more conventional form.

All I'm saying is that I don't believe the oft-repeated advice of "tail left = arrow is too weak, tail right = arrow is too stiff" (for a RH shooter) holds rigidly true for a compound bow. I haven’t observed that relationship between spine and tear/flight direction in my experiments with intentionally overspined and underspined arrows, nor have I ever heard a theoretical explanation of why a weak arrow would be predisposed to leave a compound bow flying tail left when there's no riser in the way to bend around and no influence from the shooter's fingers on the string. I think spine likely can affect how a bow tunes, but it won't necessarily manifest itself as tail left if too weak/tail right if too stiff. I also think the importance of spine in tuning a compound bow is generally overstated.