Bareshaft questions

Should I be worrying about my nock high impact on a ground level target if I am having both my bareshaft and fletched arrows almost touch at 40 yards consistently? I am shooting at a slight downward angle but my fletched arrows do not hit with the nock up only the bareshaft. Sorry if this is a stupid question never bareshaft tuned before.

ahlgringo

WKR
Can you set up an eye level target and see what it does?

I personally just go with POI, I go out to 60 and call it good. Too much variability with target material etc. to chase slight nock high/low, right/left at distance.

OP
Oregonbred
Can you set up an eye level target and see what it does?

I personally just go with POI, I go out to 60 and call it good. Too much variability with target material etc. to chase slight nock high/low, right/left at distance.
I could try and see what happens. I ended up busting one of my fletched shafts nocks with the bare shaft so I probably am fine. I just want things as close to perfect as i can get before I switch to BHs

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, paper is just a good starting point. If your fletched and bare shafts are on the same plane and grouping together at 40, your broadheads are going to be perfect.

Some guys are adamant that bareshafts and fletched shafts should be sitting in the target at the same angle. I personally ignore angle of impact and only pay attention to point of impact when bareshaft tuning. Wind, shooting uphill/downhill, and inconsistencies in the target medium can all affect apparent angle of impact. If your bareshafts and fletched shafts are grouping together at 40 yds, I'd call it good and move on to broadhead tuning. I bet you'll need little to no adjustment to get broadheads and field points to hit together.

Last edited:

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with ahlgringo. I bareshaft tune, but ultimately it doesn't matter until your broadheads are hitting with field points.

sndmn11

WKR
The bare shaft ocillates much more than a fletched one, watch a javelin. Because of this, a slight bare shaft angle isn't very telling.

Increase distance or put a broadhead on an arrow and shoot the three (bh fletched, fp fletched, bare) as groups over many ends and see if a pattern of distribution occurs.