Bargain gear for the poor or beginners and tight asses.

bmf0713

WKR
Is there a thread on here for the step above low end gear? I’ve always used cheap crap until I started western hunting a few years ago now I seem to think I need better gear for one hunt a year. I bought cheap stuff the first year western hunting and upgraded the following years kinda wishing I woulda bought more quality the first time but I’m not at swarovski quality needs and never will be. (I don’t think). Any advise out there for the poor or beginners? I’ll contribute any reviews or experience I have. I’ve always heard “buy once, cry once” and I like that saying but some people don’t have that budget.

isu22andy

WKR
I have some nice gear and some not so nice. And alot thats way too nice for what I need. Whenever I catch myself thinking I NEED something I always think back to guys like Fred Bear or my grandpas generation. They never had that stuff and they still seemed to get it done. Ill never have Swaro glass budget, how many peoples eyes are even good enough to use Swaro glass anyway to its full potential ?

Anyway , I just piece together stuff as it goes. Merino baselayers a windbreaker and good boots are the most important things so far it seems like for me. Being cold and having sore wet feet ruin a hunt quicker than anything from my experience. You can buy alot of high end Kuiu Sitka Firstlite on the classfieds here or on Facebook for 60 percent of the cost new and it looks or often is brand new.

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
That’s kinda where I’m heading with this post. I remember first starting to hunt deer with a bow and I used dirty coveralls and workbooks when it was cold and cheap-o Walmart realtree stuff when it was warmer and always killed deer. Now I have a ton of money invested in camo. I’m a mechanic and I know where to decide to spend the money on snap-on or harbor freight. I always had trouble finding info on mid grade hunting gear. Never wanted the low end stuff but never wanted to spend the money on super high end stuff either. The way I look at it is that I can spend $2500 on a Swarovski spotting scope or I can spend $500 on a spotting scope and $2000 on tags and fuel for more hunting.

MtGomer

WKR
A second hand thrift shop type place that has mountaineering, hiking gear. You don’t need camo.
An example is Second wind Sports in bozeman Montana.
Also eBay

I did a lot of hunting before I could afford things like alpha glass. Always choose gas and tags over expensive binos. Buy good binos someday but don’t let not having them hold you back.

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Just started buying wool. Camofire always has good deals on merino wool. Love merino. Getting away from the under armour stuff. What brand of external frame pack? A couple years ago I bought a alps commander lite frame pack and I liked it but didn’t have enough storage for me. Found a eberlestock dragonfly on Sierra trading post for $230 and love it! Super heavy compared to other packs but good price. Dont think I’d pay the full $450 or whatever the msrp is but I like it. About 10lbs.

isu22andy

WKR
That’s kinda where I’m heading with this post. I remember first starting to hunt deer with a bow and I used dirty coveralls and workbooks when it was cold and cheap-o Walmart realtree stuff when it was warmer and always killed deer. Now I have a ton of money invested in camo. I’m a mechanic and I know where to decide to spend the money on snap-on or harbor freight. I always had trouble finding info on mid grade hunting gear. Never wanted the low end stuff but never wanted to spend the money on super high end stuff either. The way I look at it is that I can spend $2500 on a Swarovski spotting scope or I can spend $500 on a spotting scope and $2000 on tags and fuel for more hunting.
I hunted in the midwest in Carharts coats and coveralls and muck boots and camo from Walmart from the time I was 12 till about 22-23. I will say the merino and First Lite is alot more comfortable and worth it to me now, especiallly when you spend all the money to go out west . Im with you though Im a tight ass, I cant make myself buy a pair of first lite baselayers that are pretty much the same merino for double the price of the black ovis ones !

• Banned
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
I had cheap $50 bushnell binos forever that I just gave my 5 year old as a toy. My dad and grandpa still think those are good binos. That’s how I was raised so I’m not very picky. Then I try to research hunting gear and hear that I need to spend at least $1000 on binos! Nope not me. I just upgraded to a $230 pair of vortex diamondback and my dad thought I was a high roller! Haha. I love em for the money.

Fatcamp

WKR
Cabela's pack frame. A search will find others. $100 should present you with an option that will work.

By all accounts the Vortex Diamondback 10X42 is solid.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
I hunted in the midwest in Carharts coats and coveralls and muck boots and camo from Walmart from the time I was 12 till about 22-23. I will say the merino and First Lite is alot more comfortable and worth it to me now, especiallly when you spend all the money to go out west . Im with you though Im a tight ass, I cant make myself buy a pair of first lite baselayers that are pretty much the same merino for double the price of the black ovis ones !
I’ve been buying SKRE gear and love it. Sold a couple friends on it. Gotta order up a size but then fit and quality are good. Customer service is awesome and price is good. More than bass pro stuff but not Sitka price.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I remember the first time I went prairie dog hunting. My seasoned buddy told me a thousand times to buy a scope. I said dude I have a simmons 44 mag on my rifle that thing is super clear. Ha. It didnt take long after I got home to order up some leopold's.

Same goes for my elk hunting. Like you say it's not Swarovski but alot better than the wal mart stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Cabela's pack frame. A search will find others. $100 should present you with an option that will work.

By all accounts the Vortex Diamondback 10X42 is solid.
I got 8x42 diamondback and I don’t think I’ll ever upgrade. They are awesome. I looked into the alps comander frame pack once but never pulled the trigger. Think it ran for like $170 or something. Might make someone on a budget a good pack.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
I remember the first time I went prairie dog hunting. My seasoned buddy told me a thousand times to buy a scope. I said dude I have a simmons 44 mag on my rifle that thing is super clear. Ha. It didnt take long after I got home to order up some leopold's.

Same goes for my elk hunting. Like you say it's not Swarovski but alot better than the wal mart stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I had my $100 Nikon acculons that I thought we’re pretty good until I used them next to my buddy’s vortex vipers. And those are only $500! Can Leica or Swarovski really be worth that $1000 more?

I wear kennetrek boots and other than that most of my stuff is inexpensive. Military PCU 1 base layers with minus 33 wools for midlayer, and Canadian military cold wet weather pants with a multicam jacket mailed to me from a friend in the Royal Air Force in the UK. I started wearing that garb five years ago hunting the idaho panhandle and I tag out each year. My hunt partners wear Kuiu and tag out as well. I now wear the garb as a source of pride that I am still doing great in gear 1/3 of the price of my friends.

I could buy the new high tech garb but I have grown to like many of the features of my inexpensive clothing over the Sitka/Kuiu route. And if you shop around, you can still get the USGI PCU stuff and wool clothing at a very good price.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
There are lots of threads around here and elsewhere on the 'net for "value" gear. Outdoor Gear Lab is one great source.

They never had that stuff and they still seemed to get it done.

True, but game populations and hunting methods have changed from even a generation ago. The hey-day of the '50s and '60s are long gone for a variety of reasons.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Scopes are another one that I haven’t really invested a lot into yet either.
I wear kennetrek boots and other than that most of my stuff is inexpensive. Military PCU 1 base layers with minus 33 wools for midlayer, and Canadian military cold wet weather pants with a multicam jacket mailed to me from a friend in the Royal Air Force in the UK. I started wearing that garb five years ago hunting the idaho panhandle and I tag out each year. My hunt partners wear Kuiu and tag out as well. I now wear the garb as a source of pride that I am still doing great in gear 1/3 of the price of my friends.

I could buy the new high tech garb but I have grown to like many of the features of my inexpensive clothing over the Sitka/Kuiu route. And if you shop around, you can still get the USGI PCU stuff and wool clothing at a very good price.
I just bought a pair of Lowa bighorns on midway USA for $230. Normally $460! I like the boots but I’d never spend $460! I’ve spent less money on cars that I owed and drove for years.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
I’ve heard a lot of people say spend a ton of money on a scope. Twice the cost of what you spend on the gun. Well good thing I buy cheap guns! I got a savage 243 that cost me like $200 with a Nikon buckmaster that I got on sale for $100 and I can shoot 5 rounds in the size of and Apple at 300 yards. And 300 yards is the max killing for a 243 in my opinion.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
There are lots of threads around here and elsewhere on the 'net for "value" gear. Outdoor Gear Lab is one great source.

True, but game populations and hunting methods have changed from even a generation ago. The hey-day of the '50s and '60s are long gone for a

True, but game populations and hunting methods have changed from even a generation ago. The hey-day of the '50s and '60s are long gone for a variety of reasons.
I’ve seen a couple value gear threads but not a lot. I’ll have to check out that outdoor gear lab. Never heard of it.

mdp22

FNG
I stumbled across this website and spent money on a Stone Glacier pack. Before that I used bargain gear and did fine but I never skimped on socks or boots. Lot’s of deals on optics if you search around. Most of my Leupolds were bought at a significant discount. I agree that some of the newer entry level rifles can shoot well, my sons Axis II groups well with cheap 130 grain .270 ammo.