Bargain gear for the poor or beginners and tight asses.

Honestly I use some army surplus stuff. It's never as comfortable or as light as high end gear but its tough and I'm used to it. I use the modular sleep system. Got it for 130 bucks. I know guys that use molle rucks for backpacking. Woobies have a million uses and the surplus ponchos are a lot cheaper than rain gear, breathable and will fit over you while wearing a backpack. All this stuff can be found on Ebay for cheap.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Sounds like a lot of people use military surplus stuff. Are those wool sweaters warm? Heavy? Was thinking about gettting one with the elbow patches and mock type neck. Also looked at a military rain poncho but I think it was 2lbs or something like that. Think my cabelas space saver rain suit weighs less. But I was thinking I could also have multiple uses for the poncho like emergency tarp or ground cover too.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I bought a HABIT softshell jack of camofire a few years back, it works great for what it is, bucked the wind in eastern montana greatly last year, i keep looking at more expensive jackets to replace it, but just can't/won't, I browsed HABIT's website and they are prettty reasonably priced, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.