Bargain gear for the poor or beginners and tight asses.

Scopes are another one that I haven’t really invested a lot into yet either.

I just bought a pair of Lowa bighorns on midway USA for $230. Normally $460! I like the boots but I’d never spend $460! I’ve spent less money on cars that I owed and drove for years.

My rifle rifle and scope were not cheap, but I got my boots thru the daughter of a coworker who was able to buy Kennetrek at the sporting goods store where she works for 40% off. Can't pass that up....

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Costco is your friend they have some hiking pants that are good there puffies and base layers are good. I hunted a few times this year where I think all my clothes were Costco. I would not skimp on boots and buy the best glass you can afford. The old cabelas Alaskan frames are good and I hunted with one for years. Still think it’s nicer than my stone Glacier once you get over 120lbs. Most of the high end clothing is more of a fashion statement than necessity. In the end you just need to make due with what you can afford and go

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
I don’t really care to see reviews on $50 Barska spotting scopes or Walmart tentsbecause we all know that stuff is junk. I’m looking for reveiws of a step or 2 above low end gear would be awesome. Maybe throw in some
My rifle rifle and scope were not cheap, but I got my boots thru the daughter of a coworker who was able to buy Kennetrek at the sporting goods store where she works for 40% off. Can't pass that up....
Whats your definition of not cheap? $500 rifle and $400 scope? That to me is a decent amount of money but some people are like “oh no no... I buy that cheap crap” I’d like to review that kinda stuff so people are lost trying to research it. I don’t believe the reveiws on amazon and shit. I like to hear from experienced people on here. But not everyone has a $1500 scope on a $1000 rifle.

For me, there were key items I did the "Buy once Cry once" motto on. Then there were other items I did the "buy twice cry twice" program on.

Here are what I would not skimp on.....

My Boots.
My Pack.
My Clothing
My Bag

To list all the possible variants (cost wise) to the needed components to a Big Game Western Mountain hunt set up is a tough task to tackle in one post.

I would say the classifieds on here will get you some higher end stuff at just above lower to middle end product pricing. Some guys think their used stuff is still high dollar value- skip those sellers. Wait for the good prices and don't forget the great sales at holiday time and save huge. Buy stuff at Black Ovis, GoHunt and rack up points for using on higher cost items later on when those go on sale and double down on your investment.

Just look at everything you buy as an investment. Some of those are more long term, some are short term.

Costco is your friend they have some hiking pants that are good there puffies and base layers are good. I hunted a few times this year where I think all my clothes were Costco. I would not skimp on boots and buy the best glass you can afford. The old cabelas Alaskan frames are good and I hunted with one for years. Still think it’s nicer than my stone Glacier once you get over 120lbs. Most of the high end clothing is more of a fashion statement than necessity. In the end you just need to make due with what you can afford and go

Speaking of fasion statement. I went into a pizza place one night in Idaho and the place was a sea of sitka, kuiu, and mossy oak. I was the only guy in OD pants and multicam. There was a tall blond gal in there wearing a skin tight Sitka shirt and pants with High Healed shoes on. Made me do a double take, for more than one reason.....

Last edited:
OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Awesome! This is the tips I’m looking for! I think this is the first time I heard cosco clothing on one of these forums. Usually it’s buy Sitka or Kuiu and if you don’t have $5k to spend on clothing you can’t kill anything.

I also did a super long thread on here reviewing tons of gear, that wasn't the high end stuff.
I will see if I can find it. I spent a couple years gathering, using and then reported my findings on it.

I don’t really care to see reviews on $50 Barska spotting scopes or Walmart tentsbecause we all know that stuff is junk. I’m looking for reveiws of a step or 2 above low end gear would be awesome. Maybe throw in some

Whats your definition of not cheap? $500 rifle and $400 scope? That to me is a decent amount of money but some people are like “oh no no... I buy that cheap crap” I’d like to review that kinda stuff so people are lost trying to research it. I don’t believe the reveiws on amazon and shit. I like to hear from experienced people on here. But not everyone has a $1500 scope on a $1000 rifle.

My Rifle is a weatherby mark V guide with a VX6 scope and farrell rings and mounts. It was not cheap but overtime pays for my huntin stuff. I have great boots and a kifaru pack but other then that my clothing was inexpensive and works great. I stay warm and dry regardless of the rain, fog, or snow. Its just surplus clothing from the US, Canada, and the UK.

Backyard

WKR
You say you just started western hunting. Well, almost every person on here can back me when I say that you’re nowhere near done western hunting so do what everyone else (or most everyone) has done. One piece at a time, a couple this year. Make do with the rest. A couple more pieces next year, and so on. Keep an eye on the classifieds and all the awesome advice on this site and others and eventually you’ll have all that and more.
Its a great vice to have.
This elk hunting.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
For me, there were key items I did the "Buy once Cry once" motto on. Then there were other items I did the "buy twice cry twice" program on.

Here are what I would not skimp on.....

My Boots.
My Pack.
My Clothing
My Bag

To list all the possible variants (cost wise) to the needed components to a Big Game Western Mountain hunt set up is a tough task to tackle in one post.

I would say the classifieds on here will get you some higher end stuff at just above lower to middle end product pricing. Some guys think their used stuff is still high dollar value- skip those sellers. Wait for the good prices and don't forget the great sales at holiday time and save huge. Buy stuff at Black Ovis, GoHunt and rack up points for using on higher cost items later on when those go on sale and double down on your investment.

Just look at everything you buy as an investment. Some of those are more long term, some are short term.
Yeah. I agree with this and I’m in the same boat of buy twice cry twice. I got over $500 in packs trying to find the right one when I wish I woulda just went EXO or Mystey ranch or stone glacier and I’m $1200 in 2 spotting scopes and 2 binos hen I coulda bought 1 decent of each. But I didn’t know at the time I was gonna keep western hunting or have the money to upgrade. That’s why I wish ther was a thread dedicated to above low end gear. Not value gear/save 100$ on a $2000 Swarovski scope. Not interested in that.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
I also did a super long thread on here reviewing tons of gear, that wasn't the high end stuff.
I will see if I can find it. I spent a couple years gathering, using and then reported my findings on it.
I hope you can find it. I’d like to add to it for the poor/beginners. I wish there was a permanent thread for cheap gear on here.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
I stumbled across this website and spent money on a Stone Glacier pack. Before that I used bargain gear and did fine but I never skimped on socks or boots. Lot’s of deals on optics if you search around. Most of my Leupolds were bought at a significant discount. I agree that some of the newer entry level rifles can shoot well, my sons Axis II groups well with cheap 130 grain .270 ammo.
I love savage rifles. I think a decent shooter can shoot just as good with a “cheap” savage as they could with a $2500 rifle. And the customer service is awesome.

There is everything from camp saws to camp shoes to shelters, packs and pads. Headlamps, fire starter, battery packs- you name it, its probably in there.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
You say you just started western hunting. Well, almost every person on here can back me when I say that you’re nowhere near done western hunting so do what everyone else (or most everyone) has done. One piece at a time, a couple this year. Make do with the rest. A couple more pieces next year, and so on. Keep an eye on the classifieds and all the awesome advice on this site and others and eventually you’ll have all that and more.
Its a great vice to have.
This elk hunting.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is pretty much how I’m doing it now. Gonna order a seek outside Cimarron and lite outdoor stove for a backcountry elk hunt this year.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
There is everything from camp saws to camp shoes to shelters, packs and pads. Headlamps, fire starter, battery packs- you name it, its probably in there.
Holy shit it’s 9 pages! It’s late and I’ve been drinking. I’ll take a look at it this weekend. Maybe I’ll find some gear I’ve used and add something to the reviews Or reintroduce the thread and add some new stuff. Thanks!

Haha I told you. It has everything in it, and links to get them, price them and see them. And it isn't the high end stuff all the time either- mostly decent stuff I found at low prices, but worked or didn't.

AKBorn

WKR
I’ve been hunting remote Alaska for moose and caribou since 2002, have gone up from Maryland 13 or 14 times, and going back this year. The trip costs a lot with bush flights and airline flights to Alaska, so I have always been cost-conscious about gear.

I use a Ruger bolt action .338 Winchester Magnum, with a Leupold 2x – 8x variable scope – both are more than enough quality to meet my needs. I use a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 binos that I paid about $300 for back around 2004 or so, they are still going strong and may never be replaced.

I buy my clothes and boots off Sierra Trading post or Steep and Cheap – be patient and buy off-season, and they have some great deals. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $50 for any piece of clothing, and have never paid more than $115 for a good pair of Asolo hiking boots. I don’t do name brand hunting clothes, I grew up in Alaska and remember hunting in jeans and t shirts when I was a kid. I am still using the hunting pants, shirts, and jacket that I bought for my 2002 hunt. They last a long time if you take care of them.

The other thing I do to save money – I never buy anything the first time I think I want it. If I keep thinking about it, and still want it and have a logical use for it, then I buy it after waiting for a sale. Impulse buys cost people a lot of money that can be used for other gear.

Agree with everyone else on getting quality shoes, sleeping bag, and backpack. Just be patient and watch for sales, they will come…

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Haha I told you. It has everything in it, and links to get them, price them and see them. And it isn't the high end stuff all the time either- mostly decent stuff I found at low prices, but worked or didn't.
Looks like the type of thread I’m looking for. I wish there was a category just for it. Seems like it’s too spread out when you wanna try info on bargain/ cheap gear. It’s mixed in with all other gear reviews. I though about going into the “antelope” and “elk” categories and starting a “first time hunting gear” thread. But it’d probably just get lost in all the other stuff.