Bargain gear for the poor or beginners and tight asses.

wildcat33

WKR
FYI the ones of us with the most budget probably have the least amount of time, myself included.

Time is money, spend your money on time (and food and gas). You’ll find out what you want to spend your leftover money on quick enough. You can get pretty far with decent boots and a good sleeping bag.

Purchasing gear is a marathon instead of a sprint. Start with what you can afford and work your way up. List it out and start checking stuff off as you can find it.

For example, I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Wby that I take on every hunt. I bought it when the Vanguard was $400 and Cabela's did a $100 off a $500 purchase. Burned a bunch of points and the rifle was $200. Did the same for the Vortex scope on the rifle.

I bought a second hand set of Kryptek gear this last fall for $400 that retailed for $750. Sold a few pieces to my brother and now I have my camo kit.

Bought a second hand Kuiu pack off here 4 years ago and now I have a bag to fit my hunting style.

In my opinion, searching for gear and finding deals is almost as fun as the hunt.

Holy shit it’s 9 pages! It’s late and I’ve been drinking.

You really want to make hunting more affordable on a budget ditch the booze. I cant tell you how many friends I have that "cant afford" to do what i do but drop $20 on a case of beer every couple days. If that's your thing so be it but life is all about decisions and priorities. If you want to make it work, you'll find a way

Black Ovis merino, Alps outdoors vest, and Cabelas rain jacket that I paid 55% of full price kept me warm all winter here in Montana. Any rifle I buy off the shelf will outperform my ability any day, but the price difference between a Savage Axis I vs the Axis II is worth the upgrade. Vortex is the best mid level glass I know of.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Holy shit it’s 9 pages! It’s late and I’ve been drinking.

Spending money on booze and/or cigarettes is like buying ultra expensive gear that you turn around and just throw away. Not a good investment for your wallet or your body. Over the years I've noticed that some of the poorest people in the U.S. that I've ever met.........always seemed to smoke or drink.......which are also two of the most expensive bad habits.

For gear, I know what I like so I never buy anything unless or until I find it at deep discount. Seems as though everything I like the best gets discontinued eventually anyway, so some good deals can be had on clearance. High end Italian made Zamberlan boots for $89, Icebreaker merino wool tops for $17, Meopta 15x56 binos for $900, Kahles 8x32's for $300, Microtex pants and shirts for $20 each, etc, etc, etc. You just have to wait for your opportunity to buy.

I've been mostly retired for some time now, but I didn't get to this point by spending money. I started saving and investing when I was 12. Always made sure to put some away even before paying the bills. Then whatever was left over, I put that away too. Saving and investing is a lifestyle........you have to choose that to be able to get to a point where you "can" afford the best of everything..........and then still buy budget gear.;)

Last edited:

WKR
Here's a gem too. This is the improved version of the one I have been using for 15 years. I have a lot of nice knives, but the gut blade on this knife is the money. It cuts from the underside of the hide and that means NO hair on your meat. Mine has the typical swiss army blade, just a bit longer....the current blade should be even better. The steel is good enough to get through two elk without any issues as we've boned out two a few times. It'll skin a bear and break it down as well. The saw is just like the one on your leatherman, but longer and it'll go through anything right quick.

Imo, replaceable blade knives are not something I want to rely on and this does everything I need in a light and cheap tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-S...ocphy=9033711&hvtargid=pla-307839365990&psc=1
That has potential. I'll check one out.

When I started I was using military BDU cloths. I used a backpack that I paid $60 for that I though was an expensive backpack. I used an Alps Freighter pack frame for pack outs. That pack frame worked great. Really everything worked fine. I sometimes feel that I should have kept it simple and saved a boat load of money. The gear I have now is much better, but it also cost a lot of money. All of the other gear also seemed to work fine. My advice to the guy that can't afford the upper end gear is use the money you have to buy tags, go hunting with the gear you have, and have a blast.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
You really want to make hunting more affordable on a budget ditch the booze. I cant tell you how many friends I have that "cant afford" to do what i do but drop $20 on a case of beer every couple days. If that's your thing so be it but life is all about decisions and priorities. If you want to make it work, you'll find a way
I’m not necessarily doing this thread just for me. I’m doing it for the people that don’t have the money or don’t wanna spend the money on crazy expensive gear. I wish I had access to threads like this to find a good list of good gear for a good price from guys that actually use the gear. I can spend whatever I want on gear no matter how much I spend on booze so I’d say my priorities are in check. But I don’t see the need to spend $2500 on a piece of equipment when you can find something that fits your needs for half the price or less.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
Spending money on booze and/or cigarettes is like buying ultra expensive gear that you turn around and just throw away. Not a good investment for your wallet or your body. Over the years I've noticed that some of the poorest people in the U.S. that I've ever met.........always seemed to smoke or drink.......which are also two of the most expensive bad habits.

For gear, I know what I like so I never buy anything unless or until I find it at deep discount. Seems as though everything I like the best gets discontinued eventually anyway, so some good deals can be had on clearance. High end Italian made Zamberlan boots for $89, Icebreaker merino wool tops for $17, Meopta 15x56 binos for $900, Kahles 8x32's for $300, Microtex pants and shirts for $20 each, etc, etc, etc. You just have to wait for your opportunity to buy.

I've been mostly retired for some time now, but I didn't get to this point by spending money. I started saving and investing when I was 12. Always made sure to put some away even before paying the bills. Then whatever was left over, I put that away too. Saving and investing is a lifestyle........you have to choose that to be able to get to a point where you "can" afford the best of everything..........and then still buy budget gear.;)
Yeah. I know people that drink and smoke too but I don’t here them bitching about money and most aren’t looking at expensive gear for hunting. That’s just stupid. That’s just like a mcdonalds worker shopping for a Lamborghini and bitching about the price. You don’t know mine or anyone else’s financial situation so I dont wanna hear it. I started this thread to see what mid grade gear people had experience with not to get a lecture on life choices.

Jimbob

WKR
My trick has been buying used. I have some really great gear and most of it I have not purchased new. Also, I always look for sales when I need to buy new. This is almost more of a principal then it is just about price. I feel wrong paying full price, kinda like I haven't put in the effort and just taken the easy way out. Most of my stuff is high-end name brand but this is after 10 or so years of collecting gear and watching classified sites.

Also, buy what you need for your style of hunting. I recently moved from Ontario where my hunting style was very different. When in Ontario I drooled over cool optics but I just hunted thick bush, no real glassing. Also, I rarely packed out anything very far so I didn't need the best backpack. Now that I live and hunt in BC my hunting style has changed and I need some better items.

So know what makes gear good (then you will be able to tell if an off brand will work) and know what YOU need for your hunting style.

Scottyboy

WKR
One way to get “high end” gear is to watch for sale (duh). The First Lite tag soup sale you can save around 50% and if you are quick to the website you will find whatever pattern/color/size you want. Btw, cheers!

I’m not necessarily doing this thread just for me. I’m doing it for the people that don’t have the money or don’t wanna spend the money on crazy expensive gear. I wish I had access to threads like this to find a good list of good gear for a good price from guys that actually use the gear. I can spend whatever I want on gear no matter how much I spend on booze so I’d say my priorities are in check. But I don’t see the need to spend $2500 on a piece of equipment when you can find something that fits your needs for half the price or less.

Regardless.... decisions & priorities.

I noticed yesterday our local McDonalds 8s advertising full time employment @ $15 an hour. That translates into over 30k a year working at McDonald's (assuming no overtime, just a straight 40 hour work week at 2088 hrs per year). That tells me that literally anyone who's willing to hold a full time job can hunt big game out of state with adequate equipment if they prioritize correctly.

Personally, I dont care. But you asked, referred to yourself as a "poor beginner" and sought advice on making a hobby more affordable. If someone has a vice (fill in the blank.... drinking, golf, etc...) then fine. It benefits me more to have less people in the applicant pool. But the truth is if someone really wants to hunt out of state and put pen to paper on distractions and how much they cost it adds up fast. Usually enough to fund a said trip or gear.

Last edited:

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Money should be spent on the hunt first and gear second. Seems dumb to spend so much money on gear that there's not enough left for the actual hunt. I started out with the cheapest and least amount of gear and was able to make it work BUT....it's nice to have some nicer pieces.

My upgrades were always about comfort first. Lightweight, warm and fast drying clothes for one. Better fitting and more comfortable boots and definitely a better load carrying pack. The upgrades have taken years and have made the trips more enjoyable as I get older.

I only spend modestly on guns, scopes, binos, knives and other hardware items. Just about any gun I pick up is capable of shooting better than I can shoot it in hunting conditions. I am also not a long range hunter so no need for custom work.

Half of the features or benefits of some of the higher end scopes, binos, rangefinder, bows or rifles are never used or will actually benefit the average hunter. Most simply won't glass as much or shoot enough or as far to take advantage of the benefits.

Money and time are the two most important pieces for the hunt. Comfort helps keep you hunting longer. Gear to close the deal at the end. Buy to your comfort level and talent level. My only advice is to buy the best performing products in you price range. Nothing at all wrong with quality used gear.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/gear-test.65816/

here is the thread and it has a ton of items reviewed... enjoy
Thanks for this. This is exactly what kinda thread I wanted to start. A lot of the posts are advise on saving money and buying stuff on sale...etc. I was looking for more of a specific brand/model that worked or didn’t work for someone that didn’t break the bank. There are some good posts on here of brands I’ve never heard of or gear I haven’t really thought of and some stuff I have already bought.

OP- you should re-title this post:
“Cheap gear for the people that don’t prioritize hunting in their life”

There isn’t a person living in North America that can’t own a pair of Swarovskis and a pair of Kenetreks in less than a year.

You can find the boots for around 400 and a pair of used 10x42 SLCs for 1100. Total investment 1500. That is roughly $4 a day or $120/month.

Part time job working 15hrs a month at minimum wage covers that...that’s working 3.5hrs a week extra. Anyone can find 4hrs a week of free time.
Harvest 30% of your own food will save you $150/month.
Only drinking water and not pop/coffee/tea/ beer etc would save hundreds a month for most families and especially people in the lowest socioeconomic status levels.

Drive 600 less miles a month. Ride your bike more or walk. Most everyone can walk...even 5miles to work. It is possible but most people wouldn’t because its not easy and they do not prioritize hunting.

If you really wanted to spend several thousand a year on gear and hunts....you can! Everyone can. But it’s not a priority so they don’t.

I’m way too poor to buy cheap gear. Buy a good jacket that lasts 10years vs replacing a cheap one every 5yrs.

Now if you do not want to sacrifice anything in your life and buy cheap gear at good prices?...well check out thrift stores or Sierra trading post type places. Buy all your gear used and you can save a ton.

OP
bmf0713

bmf0713

WKR
OP- you should re-title this post:
“Cheap gear for the people that don’t prioritize hunting in their life”

There isn’t a person living in North America that can’t own a pair of Swarovskis and a pair of Kenetreks in less than a year.

You can find the boots for around 400 and a pair of used 10x42 SLCs for 1100. Total investment 1500. That is roughly $4 a day or $120/month.

Part time job working 15hrs a month at minimum wage covers that...that’s working 3.5hrs a week extra. Anyone can find 4hrs a week of free time.
Harvest 30% of your own food will save you $150/month.
Only drinking water and not pop/coffee/tea/ beer etc would save hundreds a month for most families and especially people in the lowest socioeconomic status levels.

Drive 600 less miles a month. Ride your bike more or walk. Most everyone can walk...even 5miles to work. It is possible but most people wouldn’t because its not easy and they do not prioritize hunting.

If you really wanted to spend several thousand a year on gear and hunts....you can! Everyone can. But it’s not a priority so they don’t.

I’m way too poor to buy cheap gear. Buy a good jacket that lasts 10years vs replacing a cheap one every 5yrs.

Now if you do not want to sacrifice anything in your life and buy cheap gear at good prices?...well check out thrift stores or Sierra trading post type places. Buy all your gear used and you can save a ton.
So everything else is junk other than kenetreks and Swarovski? And I should get a part time job to buy them? You are missing the whole point of the thread. I don’t need advise on how to save money. I can go buy kenetreks or Swarovski optics if I want. I just wanted to see what was out there for gear that maybe someone came across and found out it was good gear at a good price. I’ve already seen a few brands and pieces of equipment on this thread that I’ve never heard of before that I’ll probably look into purchasing. I can find all the info on a piece of gear I want by searching for it online. But that only if I have a brand and/or model to research. It’s always nice to see what else is out there. I came across the clothing brand SKRE when everyone else is wearing Sitka and Kuiu and I love my SKRE stuff.