Barnes 127 LRX Tikka

Looking around on this forum and others it sounds like a good amount of people have struggled getting these to shoot well from tikkas. I’ve also heard from some guys who have had them shoot sub 1/2 moa. I tried superformance with poor results. Sounds like a lot of people like H4350 but I haven’t been able to find any. Last week I was able to get 3 lbs of IMR 4350 and gave it a go this weekend. I got a little bit more consistency with velocities but groups were still piss poor. Like 1.5”+ groups at 100 yards.

I also have some Staball 6.5 that I was thinking of trying. Am I wasting my time trying to get my gun to like these? Any suggestions?

I should mention I’m running them .050 off the lands with federal 210 primers.

Sled

WKR
you might not want to hear it but they shoot well out of my tikka. in fact, they shoot to the same poi as my eagle eye 135gr berger hunter ammo at distance. they both stay well under moa.

OP
P
you might not want to hear it but they shoot well out of my tikka. in fact, they shoot to the same poi as my eagle eye 135gr berger hunter ammo at distance. they both stay well under moa.

Are you shooting hand loads?

Sled

WKR
Are you shooting hand loads?

Not in that rifle. No need to since I keep it under 800 for target and 500 hunting in that rifle.

I've had a couple rifles lately that I was unable to improve precision with reloads. My fierce fury would cloverleaf factory nosler 160 accubonds but I couldn't duplicate the powder and speeds they were getting. The results were closer to moa with reloads.

Sled

WKR
With regard to velocities, my 6.5 has been good. I've had other Tikka barrels that were extremely slow. The 270wsm I just rebarreled was 150fps slow in the factory bbl. It was however precise.

OP
P
I tried the factory LRXs when I first got the rifle. They worked ok but definitely not great

OP
P
Back away from the lands

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
How far? Should I just try a few ladder tests with them seated .015” further away from the lands on each test? Like maybe one set .065” off the lands and one at .080” and see if I get any improvements?

amassi

WKR
How far? Should I just try a few ladder tests with them seated .015” further away from the lands on each test? Like maybe one set .065” off the lands and one at .080” and see if I get any improvements?
Max charge of whatever powder you settle on, barnes reccomend 50-250 thou in .25 increments
8a683562967d2f20bfa7b101ac1e0522.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
P
Cool good info. I remember reading Barnes recommending .050 but haven’t seen that before. Thanks I’ll give it a try