Barnes LRX on deer

Does anyone here have experience killing deer with the LRX bullet beyond 500 yards? More specifically the 6.5 127. Ca now requires lead free but Im reluctant to make a switch without some positive, legit long range feedback. Im worried a shot behind the shoulder at long range won't transfer a ton of energy on an animal like a 150lb deer.

Pro953

WKR
Closest I can offer is Elk at 418 with a .308. Good wound channel. Lungs were gone. Deer was closer to 100 last year, that was a literal bang flop. Only mention that to point out they will do the job both close and at some distance.

You noted 6.5 but not what cartridge. As long as you can keep it going fast and do your part I doubt it will be a issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmm08300

Lil-Rokslider
Not past 500, however, I shot a doe here that dressed out at 105lb (big for here) at 456 yds with the 127 LRX out of a 6.5-300wby in the lungs and she dropped in her tracks, complete pass through

I'm fairly new to the whole non lead bullet world myself. I think we all are, as there are more copper (non-lead) projectiles to choose from in more calibers now than ever. Even 5 years ago there were far fewer choices. The advancements in copper (non-lead) bullets have also seemed to be quick and effective in a short amount of time. They are still becoming better and better and will more than likely continue to do so given the demand for them is higher than ever. I'm a lead guy through and through, but I too live in California and am subject to the lead ban as well. So reluctantly being forced, I set out to find a projectile that I liked. I've never been a fan of a bullet that stays together and retains most of its weight and makes a single wound channel, I want a bullet that fractures and disrupts, I want it to enter an animal and destroy vitals, not meat. Like I said I'm new to this stuff too and have admittedly never killed an animal with a non lead bullet but for me personally, my logical side tells me, why choose a Barnes given what other (better) choices are out there now? I say this understanding that Barnes bullets have and will continue to kill a PILE of animals, I'm not arguing that in any way. Just probably not the style of bullet I'm looking for.

Last edited:

RumLover

FNG
I love the lrx for game. I've dropped several past 500 and had excellent performance. Took a mulie with a 7mm may at 574y with a LRX, passed through both lungs, he dropped within 50 yards. Took another with a 300 RUM and 200LRX at 680y, dropped in his tracks. Gave the rifle to my partner, he took one the next day at 480y, dropped him in his tracks. I think what I like the most when shooting longer range is the high likelihood of complete pass through leaving a good blood trail. It can be difficult to find where the target was standing if it's far off and in open terrain.

Tod osier

WKR
Does anyone here have experience killing deer with the LRX bullet beyond 500 yards? More specifically the 6.5 127. Ca now requires lead free but Im reluctant to make a switch without some positive, legit long range feedback. Im worried a shot behind the shoulder at long range won't transfer a ton of energy on an animal like a 150lb deer.

Contact them and find out what the min expansion velocity for that bullet is (expansion velocity varies, some are 1600 fps, some 1800 and some 2000, etc...). At that distance, I think you may be close or under (depending on the MV). I've only killed a couple things way out with them and they expanded (they were going fast enough by the numbers). Some guys add an additional 200 fps to what barnes says (say barnes says they expand at 1800, so they won't shoot beyond what has them going BELOW 2000 fps).