Barnes TSX vs nosler Partition?

Adubs

FNG
I’ve had great success hunting elk with a copper 92 backcountry in 300 win mag shooting TSX 180’s and worked up a very accurate 165 load for an upcoming AZ 12aw early rifle deer hunt. Talking to my guide he is strongly against the copper TSX and has advised me to work up a different load with a lead style bullet like a partition. The 165’s are coming out of the barrel at 3200 FPS so I feel like expansion should not be a problem...any thoughts?

jjchad

WKR
If your rifle shoots the TSX accurately and you feel confident with it, I would say keep it. That is like saying the guide is strongly against you driving your Chevy or Ford down there, and that he advises you to get a Toyota. Just my thoughts, though.

SDHNTR

WKR
The TSX is fine if you shoot him in the shoulder, not behind it. Break them down, hit bone, make that bullet expand.

And not that I’m advocating changing a proven load, but the TTSX expands better, and Hammers better yet, if you want to stick with copper.

I see no reason not to use the ttsx and as light as you want to go. I've seen what the 130 ttsx does on caribou and bear. Lights out within 3-4 seconds each time.

Wrench

WKR
Both bullets have long record of results. Your guide isn't likely to let you shoot beyond 4-500 yards so bullet bc is of little concern between the two.

You can load either and as long as it's even close to MOA, you have zero to worry about.

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
your guide may be reliving experiences with early copper hunting bullets. I would shoot TTSX if they shot well out of my smoke pole.

The barnes bullets kill...even 120 gr kill elk out of a 25 caliber offerings...165 out the 300 win for deer is serious medicine.

JRMiller

WKR
As they say, the best rifle/cartridge for you is the one you already have if confident, competent, and comfortable with it....

I agree with pretty much everything that’s already been said. If you like that Barnes bullet and your happy with its accuracy, there’s no need to worry about its terminal performance, as long as you’re maintaining adequate velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Nosler partitions all the way. But that’s probably how I was raised. Wool pants, flannel jacket, Nosler partitions, and a moose hanging by noon.
I don’t have much experience with copper bullets, but I have seen a couple fail. Probably application though.

You’re the one paying the guide and should be the one calling the shots on this topic. Both bullets are proven ethical killers if the shooter does their part. Use what shoots best out of your gun.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Stick with the TSX if you have a good load and are comfortable with it.
I have been using 160 gr. TSX in 7mm mag and they have worked excellent on everything from Red Duiker in Africa to elk here in NA and maral in Kazakhstan.

I agree with the Ford vs. Chevy comment above. They are both good bullets.

PA Hunter

WKR
The TSX is fine if you shoot him in the shoulder, not behind it. Break them down, hit bone, make that bullet expand.

And not that I’m advocating changing a proven load, but the TTSX expands better, and Hammers better yet, if you want to stick with copper.

I completely agree with you SDHNTR, I had horrible results on moose/elk shooting behind the shoulder with TTSX 200 gr from a .300 RUM and from an 06 165 gr on whitetail behind shoulder. Horrible

SDHNTR

WKR
Do we realize that there is a difference between the TSX and TTSX? They seem to be used synonymously throughout this post. They are not. The TTSX expands better.

Shoot the deer where it counts, and they will still die. I do see a noticeable difference in deer when shot behind the shoulder with the ttsx out of my 30-06AI (168 grs @3010fps) compared to something like the Hornady SST in 165 gr. The Hornady have a more violent expansion and deer generally are dead right there. With the TTSX I shot a buck in the liver/back of lungs and it took him 5 minutes to die, but he didn't run anywhere.

FWIW, those Hornady and TTSX shoot close to the same POI with no change to powder loads in my rifle.