Barnes TTSX vs LRX ... help a novice out?

philcox

WKR
For the .270 Win, can anyone tell me the practical difference between the 2? What I see in specs are:
  • Weight - Adv TTSX +1gr
  • Velocity - Adv LRX 3140 vs 3060
  • BC - Adv LRX .463 vs .392
  • I have no idea how the TTSX Boat Tail differs from the LRX Boat Tail
I am shooting the LRX, because they cost the same. With my current ability, I would not see shooting past 600yds, and likely not past 400. Any insight into if there is any reason to try the TTSX, is appreciated.

Phil

LightFoot

WKR
I believe the LRX will expand down to lower velocities, making it more suited to longer range shots.

Out to 400 yds, I don't think you will notice a difference as (with Barnes factory load) velocity is still around 200fps with the TTSX. You will see the difference past 400 where the LRX has a higher velocity and retains that velocity with the higher BC.

The primary factory between in choosing a bullet is accuracy, followed closely by construction/ performance. If the LRX doesn't shoot well is doesn't matter how much velocity it retains or how lethal. If they both shoot well and shots are expected to extend beyond 400 yds, the LRX has the advantage.

>>>----JAKE----->

Sounds like the LRX is the better deal for you at Those specs, if it’s accurate . As mentioned it’s designed to expand at lower velocity so either softer metal or different hollow point cut.

grifmXC

FNG
There are 2 big differences:

1) as you pointed out, the BC is higher. So the bullet will maintain needed velocity longer and be less effected by wind.

2) I believe the advertised min velocity for all LRXs is 1500 FPS vs 1800 FPS for most all the TSX and TTSXs.

But at 270 muzzle velocities it won’t matter inside 400yds so pick the one that is most accurate in your rifle.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Zero reason to monkey with TTSX unless you just want to take steps backwards. 400 is a pretty damn good poke.

grifmXC

FNG
One other thing to mention, the expansion at the minimum velocity is much less than the perfect curled over petals you see on barnes website/advertising. For expansion closer to what you see in pictures I would recommend add 200-300 FPS to the min and limiting your range to whatever gives you that.

Using jbm trajectory calculator with the 130ttsx 3000 FPS and at sea level the bullet would still be traveling at 2085 FPS at 400yds.

Matt

Pro953

WKR
I reload shoot both in my Tikka .270. I have taken deer with the TTSX but the LRX only paper so far with the exception of a close range coyote which does not really give much feedback.

I have gone as low as the 110 TTSX which when loaded hot can be a screaming fast shooting round that cut down the need to think much about holds or anything out into the 2-300 range.

OXN939

WKR
For the .270 Win, can anyone tell me the practical difference between the 2? What I see in specs are:
  • Weight - Adv TTSX +1gr
I am shooting the LRX, because they cost the same. With my current ability, I would not see shooting past 600yds, and likely not past 400. Any insight into if there is any reason to try the TTSX, is appreciated.

Phil

GrifmXC above is absolutely spot on. LRX and TTSX are both some of the most consistently fantastic rifle projectiles ever produced, but you need to maintain velocity for that to be the case. If you set your max range at 400 and verify your dope out to there, you'll have an excellent setup for anything in North America.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have gone as low as the 110 TTSX which when loaded hot can be a screaming fast shooting round that cut down the need to think much about holds or anything out into the 2-300 range.

I've been experimenting with their 85gr and 95gr bullets in my .270. They shoot amazingly well with very little recoil, and blistering fast (3900+ for the 85's). I need to tone those down just a tad as those speeds are higher than even Barnes' load data. I need to try one on an elk and see what it does. Maybe a late season meat shoot.

TTSX180

Lil-Rokslider
I was shooting the TTSX 180 put one through both shoulders of an elk at 100 yards the bullet did not expand hardly any. Very accurate in a 300 Weatherby not a short range bullet.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
From all the comments here, The LRX it is. Give me some cushion for longer shots, when I get more proficient. Thx

16Bore

WKR
Don’t forget that a 130 mono bites like a 150 jacketed bullet. The 110’s are hot rods.

JFK

WKR
I load the 110gr TTSX for my 270. It’s not for shooting anything long range but it’s absolute death at normal hunting distances as it leaves the rifle at close to 3300fps....and that’s not even a max charge.

Joseph28

FNG
I shoot the ttsx and am trying to work up a load but I am very interested in trying the lrx

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
  • Weight - Adv TTSX +1gr

Phil

As stated, the LRX is designed to hold onto velocity better and open more aggressively. Given that Barnes monolithics have ~zero issues with weight retention or penetration, I cannot think of a reason I wouldn't want that. The TSX/TTSX for me don't really check any boxes...but I recently found some LRX on par pricewise with "standard" offerings and bought two boxes to try because it makes a lot more sense to me for GP use.

16Bore

WKR
If Barnes made the LRX before the TSX and TTSX, there wouldn’t be a TSX or TTSX

Although I still like the TSX since a pile of titties broke off my TTSX. 120 6.5’s.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love the 168 and 150g ttsx in my 30-06 and 308. I’ve been loading the 127g LRX in my 6.5 with food success so far.

grifmXC

FNG
I love the 168 and 150g ttsx in my 30-06 and 308. I’ve been loading the 127g LRX in my 6.5 with food success so far.

I love the 168s in my 06 as well. I’m currently working on deciding between the 168 and the 150 in my 308.

VernAK

WKR
I'm sticking with the TTSX as I want deep penetration on moose or bears and either will work fine if I was to sheep hunt again.