Barnes TTSX vs TSX in 5.56 AR

TauPhi111

WKR
Hi All,

I am putting together a new AR in 5.56 that will mostly be a SHTF gun, but I also might use it for some deer and pig hunting, or maybe even have my girlfriend use it for antelope. I am looking at the 62-70 grain TTSX and TSX bullets for hunting loads, and I am wondering if the tips on the TTSX bullets have potential to cause function issues when used in an AR, or are deformed significantly to affect accuracy and BC on their ride into the chamber. Would it be better to use the hard nosed TSX bullets? Any real world experience with these bullets in an AR would be appreciated

Wapiti1

WKR
Both bullets work fine if loaded to standard COAL. I have not seen them get damaged. Popular bullets with the hog hunters I know in Texas.

Jeremy

robtattoo

WKR
Is that on the firearm sub forum or reloading sub forum?

the Barnes monos functioned fine out of my AR, but yeah, read through that thread, tons of good info, and will get you dialed in for better bullet options for hunting

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
huh. Admittedly I wrote that thread off when it included elk, bear, and moose. I figured it'd just be a bunch of people arguing against one guy who thinks its a good idea to use a 223 on large game. I'll give it a look though.

jhm2023

WKR
Since SHTF is one of the purposes for your gun I would suggest looking at the 50gr TSX. It has an armor penetrating capability when the velocity is high enough. Should do quite well for hunting as well. Keep in mind monos allow you to step down in weight because of the weight retention. The higher velocity helps things out too. The polymer tips on the TTSX bullets (I believe they're delrin) tend to break occasionally in bolts guns so I stay clear of them in gas guns for that reason. If you want the heavier bullets and still use monolithics I'd suggest look into the 62gr controlled chaos from lehigh defense.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Man, I read that whole thread and it was quite interesting. Performance of that 77 TMK on large game is impressive. Unfortunately, most of the conversation in that thread centered around bolt guns, and I'm wanting to know about tips functioning in an AR. I think that lead fragmenting bullets just waste too much meat as well, which is why I like Barnes and solid copper bullets. I'll have to look at some options.